Chapter 8 - Alkebulan

Welcome to Alkebulan

Or rather, how we know it, Africa. 

Extensive research (and probably still incorrect so don't hesitate to call me out), had me discovering that the name 'Africa' was given to the continent by the Romans and Greeks.  

And...we will be meeting a desert tribe known as the 'Dogon'. They are found in Mali and are believed to descend from the Ancient Egyptians. They are known for their wisdom dating back to 3200BC and their astronomical knowledge, having noticed and characterized the star, Sirius, the brightest star in the sky, and it's three-star system (Sirius A, Sirius B, and Sirius C), long before scientists contemplated its existence. They knew Sirius B was invisible to the naked eye and has a 50-year orbit. 

(Some conspiracy theorists believe that aliens might have visited them and told them these facts. I just think they lived in the desert with no artificial light so they could see things clearly that we definitely couldn't see now). 

Dogon were agriculturalists but some were nomads who traveled from place to place to set up farms in new areas (I could be wrong so do correct me). 

Above is a map of where the Dogon were centered, roughly. Some of the tribes were still nomadic and still traveled, hence why when Eret and Heather came across them last time, they were closer to Egypt to the East then Mali to the West.  

Also, here's the deal. 

I know African culture and tradition is so sensitive, so please know, I have no intention of offending anyone. If I say something wrong, or get something wrong, please tell me! 

I have researched the Dogon the best I could with the information available to me so I have some understanding but most of the cultural aspects are through oral communication so there are some things I will get wrong, so do correct me! The last thing I want to do is offend anyone. 

Okay, disclaimer out of the way, I hope you all enjoy the chapter! It is very long but I didn't know how to cut it down. 

Anyway, enjoy! xx

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

*Constantinople, Byzantine Empire*

Sun streamed through the open balcony doors as Heather awoke. Space next to her was empty and she slowly sat up to see the bedroom was empty, but Eret's armor, belts, and weapons were still present.

They had been in Constantinople for just under a month and most nights had Eret and Heather in bed together - she was head over heels in love with him and nothing else mattered in her mind.