77. BUCKY: Christmas Miracle

Start from the beginning

Long story short, Sargent Y/LN- more commonly known as Y/N- was in Wakanda for two months before the Wakandan government struck a deal with the UN and U.S. Government. The brigade was released and the hiding superheros were taken off the most wanted list. But when it came time to leave, Y/N hesitated. Since trying to help her escape Bucky'd been kind to her. They'd grown relatively fond of one another: trading dry insults and meaningful looks across the room where she'd been kept. They'd built a mutual respect from each other, and from that, an unbreakable bond. It kept Bucky coming to her room and keeping her company within those long winter months. They'd trained, talked, and bonded.

It came as a surprise to everyone when Y/N came back to visit Bucky on her next release from her service. And the one after that, and when she was on a layover from Guam... Actually, Y/N was showing up at the compound more than her own hometown.

Then spring came and so did the phone calls. Late night Skype sessions and letters in the mail. By the time summer came Bucky couldn't deny it any more: he'd fallen in love with this stubborn, hot-headed U.S. soldier. And Y/N? She was knee deep in desires for the former Hydra asset: more than she would've liked to admit.

Now it's Christmas. Spring and summer are but distant memories in this frigid cold. The Avenger's have been whole again for almost a full month now. While tense, it's growing more comfortable by the day. The only two who still seem to hold any animosities now are Steve and Tony, but their eternally interconnected now by their love for Rose. The sweet Stark girl has each of the men wrapped around a finger and tugs them to her bidding. Neither one can hate the other as long as Rose is happy.

That doesn't mean that everyone is happy. Bucky's gotten a taste of what it feels like to be happy. This summer, just having returned to New York, Y/N came to stay for three whole months. She'd hardly left Bucky's side the whole visit. Now she's gone again: the sniper being needed somewhere far away that Bucky's not allowed to know about.

That taste of bliss has faded from his tongue. Bucky's lonelier than he's ever been. Steve's happy with Rose. The gang is all back together. But he feels distant: separated from them all by the sadness in his heart that cries for Y/N to be here beside him. So when the Christmas tree goes up and the carols play on the radio he just locks his bedroom door and suffocates himself in beating up a punching bag.

It's finally Christmas Eve. Bucky's relieved, to say the least. The sooner this holiday is over the sooner he can forget that he had to go through it without Y/N. Their first holiday together as a couple and also their first one apart. How'd he ever survive without her? What if he has to do it again? Live in a world without Y/N? He doesn't think he'd make it out of that alive.

He'd sent her a present in the mail. He's hoping it arrives at her base before the night passes. She should at least get to open a gift while she's out there sacrificing herself for the greater good. It's nothing fancy: something small and sweet that he'd known she'd love as soon as he saw it in the shop window.

"Pass me the popcorn, would you Stevie?" Rose questions from the other side of the couch from Bucky. Steve's in between them as they all three watch a movie. Bucky's hardly paying attention though. This stupid Christmas movie is only further tainting his mood.

"Sure, babe." Steve grabs the snack bowl from the table and grants it to the Stark girl. She's cuddled up under a blanket and watching the TV lazily.

"You okay over there, Buck?" she asks between mouthfuls of treats. "You're awfully quiet tonight."

Steve shoots Rose a look like, 'Leave it alone!' but she either doesn't get the message or ignores it.

Bucky sighs. He sets his phone face-down on the arm of the couch and simply shrugs. "I'm fine." The answer lacks any real depth and leaves a sour frown on Rose's face.