f o u r t e e n t h ♂

Eavesdrop.

Eavesdrop is the act of listening to a conversation without the speaker's knowledge. As a result, one might obtain many different types of information, whether it was meant to be disclosed or not. It could be done with a sole purpose, like those spies on action films. It could also be unintentional, like someone running into a gossiping group of people. In my case, regardless, it would fall between these two functions.

I distanced myself, pacing away and hiding behind the pillar. Alyssa gradually followed after me, although she only stepped back and didn't do anything. She then turned and eyed at me, giving me a concerned look. Her forehead slightly wrinkled, and her brows furrowed together. She bit her lips altogether, asking no questions, and remained silent.

"A lot of things had happened ever since you left." Seb started, as the boys and Florence stopped at the edge. "Especially that of Ed."

My shoulders soon tightened as my name left my best friend's mouth. Alyssa gently nudged me with her elbow, signaling something vague. Whether it was for good or bad intention, it didn't help me at all.

"I'm happy to hear them all." Raphael proclaimed, breaking into a smile. "I have plenty of time, so fire away."

"Obviously," Alyssa grunted beside me, but I didn't pull out a response.

Seb and Raphael stared at the majestic ocean, relishing on the beauty. Both of their arms rested on the handrail, and their bodies leaned forward. Florence was the odd one out; she was facing in the opposite direction of them. At her position, I tried obscuring myself further, as there was a high chance that I will be spotted by her. Worse, her sharp, blue eyes were wandering around the area.

"I gotta admit it, Grumpy got a good taste in choosing nature," Florence commented. "Wow, this is stunning."

"Well, you shouldn't have confined yourself to books if you wanna find something more amazing." Seb simpered.

"Haha, that's funny. Now, shut it, Sebby." She snorted, mildly slapping his shoulder.

Inspecting closer, I noticed that Florence didn't tie her hair at all. She let it lose, smoothly falling through her shoulders and stopped at her back; a rare sight of her. Its bushy, distinct green color corresponded and blend in with the saturation of plants nearby.

"So, to begin," Seb started, facing his friend, "I'm sorry about how Ed badly treated you yesterday. I think he's just shocked seeing you again."

Spiteful lies.

"It's fine. No worries." Raphael replied, waving the back of his hand. "I was a bit too pushy, after all. I should have given him some time before I talk to him. At first, I thought that he would be glad or something, but remember that day..." He paused amidst his words.

"He should stop referring everything to the past, otherwise he's not going to move on. It's like he's living in a completely different era, embracing the history that can't be changed." He exhaled loudly while scraping his hair. "I tried telling this with him, but he didn't bother listening. He's just... ugh, so stubborn!"

Look in the mirror and see who's more stubborn. I countered him mentally. And telling? More like screaming your ass off.

"Yeah, but, for a minute, I kinda understand how Chris really feels. If something... traumatizing happens to me, I won't ever forget it at all, no matter how old or busy I am." Raphael implied.

"You're not wrong about that, but that doesn't give him the right to fucking yell at you." My best friend huffed, exasperated. "Well, he has the choice to talk to you or not, but at least, he should be polite."