Chapter 28 - Understanding

Third Person P.O.V.

The two heroes stood 1 inch apart, gazing upon their menacing enemy. Their hearts were pounding, and their veins were carrying adrenaline all the way up to their brains. While Gabriel bared his teeth, one of his eyebrows went up, awaiting an answer.

Adrien took Ladybug's hand into his, although not in compassion, but in fear. The longing for company and reassurance was evident in the poor boy's chest as he turned to look at her. His eyes were watery and tears were forming.

Ladybug looked at him, trying terribly to mirror his emotions in an attempt at empathy, but failing. For she didn't know what to feel. This wasn't her mother, how would she know what to do?

"Well, what'll it be?" Gabriel Agreste asked with a snarl, still standing still with the yo-yo string encircling him. His son bit his own lip in hestitation, and squeezed his lady's hand tightly.

"I-I...I.." Adrien struggled for words, but somehow nothing was escaping his lips. This was a huge decision after all. Giving up both Miraculous to save his mother could be disastrous, and even...

That's when he realized...what if Gabriel wasn't in it to save his mom! What if his true intentions were in fact to cause pain and be the most powerful Miraculous wielder in history?! Now Adrien knew he couldn't give up his most precious possession to the man he'd been fighting for a year!

After a slow, deep breath, Adrien glanced back to his father, "No."

Gabriel's eyes widened in shock. "No? What do yo mean 'no?!' This is your mother! Wouldn't you do anything to get her back?!"

"That's where you're wrong. You're the one who do anything to get what you want, even if you have to hurt innocent people. I'm not going to risk everyone's lives just because I miss my Mom...and...I can learn to accept that she's gone!"

"You have no idea what you just cost me, Adrien! All of my hard work, all of the planning and Akumatizing was for nothing! I don't care anymore that you're my son. I'll get you for this!" By now Gabriel was trying his very best to break free of the string. 

Adrien gulped down the cries pushing to escape his throat, and blinked his tears away. He was strong, and was able to resist the enormous calls of temptation inside of him.

Ladybug sighed with a scowl, then turned to her beloved, and hugged him. Without any hesitation, he hugged her back, burying his face in her soft hair.

After a few more seconds, they released. 

Finally, they both realized the Chinese soldiers and Secret Service encircling them, guns pointed directly at Gabriel.

"Take him away, and lock him somewhere he can never escape." Ladybug yelled. Four soldiers walked slowly to Adrien's father, guns still aiming at him, and hand cuffed his hands behind him.

The yo-yo unwrapped Gabriel, and the guards took him away. Ladybug turned to Adrien sadly, and placed her hand on his cheek. He gladly closed his eyes and rested his head against her palm.

"I'm so sorry, Adrien," she whispered. "I should've said something! I just stood there while you had to deal with making the decision on your own! Ugh, I'm such a-"

"Hey," Adrien cut her off, and opened his eyes, "it's alright, Mari. It's not your fault. Besides, even if he was telling the truth about saving my mom, I'd never give up my Miraculous anyway, and I know you wouldn't either."

The bug smiled softly, tilting her head. Her eyes were full of love, as were Adrien's as well. Without any care about the rest of the soldiers watching them, they pulled into a kiss.

"EXCUSE YOU, MISTER!" A shout came from behind the guards. The two heroes quickly pulled away and looked to where the yell had come from.

Alya shoved passed the men and women, her face hot and steamy. You could tell she was extremely pissed. She stomped up to Adrien and Ladybug, phone in hand.

"Care to explain this, Agreste?!" She yelled and shoved the picture of their kiss in his face. He looked at her strangely.

"Ummm... what about it exactly?" He asked, still bewildered with her random burst of anger. Alya raised her eyebrows in shock.

"You know just what I mean, model boy. YOU AND MARINETTE HAVE A THING AND NOW YOU'RE GOING OFF AND KISSING OTHER GIRLS? What the hell is wrong with you?! And it seriously doesn't help that it was Ladybug you just kissed! I mean come on! Who knew you'd be a total two-timer?" She yelled, her face inches away from Adrien. Her breaths were hot and quick, and her eye twitched.

Ladybug and Adrien turned to look at each other, then burst out laughing. This took Alya by surprise. Why were they laughing? This was serious!

After their brief fit, Ladybug placed a hand on her friend's shoulder, "Oh, Alya, don't worry about it. Adrien isn't cheating at all. Because...well... I am Marinette."

Alya stood there, not moving a single muscle. 

This sent the two into another fit of laughter, that is, until Alya awoke from her trance. She shook her head and whispered to Ladybug, "Did you just say that you're...Marinette?"

The heroine nodded her head. Her friend nearly fainted. You have to admit, the one person she'd been looking for, for an entire year had been right her side all this time is pretty heavy to take in. After taking a good look at Ladybug, she rolled her eyes.

"I am probably the dumbest person ever. You two look exactly alike," Alya groaned, "but I'm still confused about why you didn't tell me. I am your best friend right?"

The bug felt a sharp pain run through her heart. "Of course! And I wanted to tell you, I really did, but I couldn't. It could've put you in danger, and plus my kwami wouldn't allow me, either."

"Kwami? The hell is a kwami?"

"I'll tell you later, but for now, we need to get back to our class," Ladybug said, and took Adrien's hand in her own. The trio walked through a gap between all of the soldiers to the bunker.