Chapter 12 - Marinette?

Adrien P.O.V.

The buzz from our class had came to an abrupt stop, creating nothing but silence.

Did I really hear that right? Had the man actually said Princess Marinette Dupain-Cheng, or am I just missing her so much I'm suddenly hearing her name... No, that can't be it. Mari isn't a princess, I mean, she lives in a bakery with her parents, who are bakers. Right? Ugh, I'm so confused.

"D-Did I just hear that right?" Nino said next to me, reading my thoughts, his voice sounding dazed. I tried to turn around to look at him, but as I was about to, something happened. Something big

There, standing at the top of a nearby staircase, was a girl in a light pink dress. She had dark hair, sparkling blue eyes, and a nervous smile. For some reason, she looked exactly like Marinette. They both had the same hair, eyes, skin, and smile, but it can't be her. There's no way that was her, right?

Then came a girl who had tan skin, brown hair ombred to orange, glasses, and she was wearing an orange dress with diamonds. It...can't be. There's no way... This girl looked exactly like Alya, but...but...it isn't her.

No, it had to be. The names they had been introduced by were Marinette's and Alya's. But still.

They began to descend gracefully down the stairs to the long table our class was sitting in. My heart started pounding in my chest for some reason, so I tried to cover up the noise with a quick cough. Then suddenly, the girl who looked identical to Mari tripped on the second to last step. I was immediately about to stand up to help her, but she quickly got up and brushed her dress off. Her face was red with embarrassment, and her grin seemed to be an attempt to hide it. 

Yup, definitely Marinette.

"I think so, dude," I whispered, still unable to look away from her. She walked side by side to the girl with glasses over to the table. They both came up to the empty seats closest to Nino and me, a man pulling out each of the chairs for them. Marinette turned, looking to Alya questioningly before sitting. Alya nodded and they sat down. I could feel Nino shake my arm slightly as I stared at the two girls. Marinette looked down at her plate while Alya stared sadly at her, placing a comforting arm on her shoulder.

"Now introducing, Emperor Tom Dupain-Cheng and Empress Sabine Dupain-Cheng!" The man who had announced Alya and Marinette's arrival yelled enthusiastically. The trumpets sounded again, and Marinette's wonderful parents came down the stairs. Sabine was wearing a red kimono and Tom had on a yellow match.

I guess that's it. No doubt Marinette was a princess now.

 P.O.V. Change

Marinette P.O.V.

I stared at the china plate that had been placed neatly in front of me, too scared to look at anyone in my class. Especially Adrien. I mean, what would he think of me? He'd probably think I lied to him, or maybe he's just so disappointed that stupid old Marinette is actually a princess. What if he thought someone else, someone better than me, would've been a princess. 

I really didn't have the heart to face him at all, considering he probably hates me now. My stomach and my brain were screaming for me to run out of the room to my bedroom and cry, but I knew in my heart that I couldn't. I owed everyone an explanation and an apology, so I tried my best to stay seated.

Alya placed her hand on my shoulder sympathetically, and I gave a soft smile to her. Then I looked down at my plate as quickly as possible again. Maman and Papa had taken their seats in between Alya and Mylene, as the blaring sound of trumpets had faded to an end. 

"M-Marinette?" I heard an all-too familiar voice come from next to me, shaky and unsure. Trying as best I could not to look up at his beautiful face, I let out a meek 'yes?' Something soft and warm touched my hand that had been on my lap. Adrien's hand. He seemed to be trying to hold mine, but I jerked it away, too scared to face him.

"Marinette, it's okay. You can look up," Alya said softly, her hand still on my shoulder. I didn't want to, but I obeyed her. Looking up I saw my whole class staring right at me, a mix of emotions were evident in their faces. Shock? Confusion? Maybe admiration? I couldn't tell. 

Just as I was about to run out of the room in fright, a loud yell came from the other end of the table. Of course, Chloe was on her feet, glaring right into my soul.

"Marinette, care to explain to everyone how you lied to them? I mean come on, you really think anyone would want to be your friend after them knowing that you tricked us? Like, sure you may be a princess, but obviously Adrien wouldn't want you anyway. He just wants me, the daughter of the mayor and the richest girl in France. So anyway, do go on," She hissed, a sly smirk on her face. You could obviously tell she was trying to hide jealousy, but I'd heard enough. 

Just as everyone turned from looking at Chloe to look at me, tears were stinging my eyes, threatening a downpour. I stood up and ran. I ran from Adrien, I ran from my parents, I ran from Chloe, I ran from Alya, and I ran from my class. Still not knowing where anything was in the palace, I just ran to the rose garden. The place I knew no one else should be, the place where the scent of roses overwhelmed someone with calmness. I burst through the glass doors and out on to the top of the steps of the staircase that led to the garden. Tears had already begun to fall endlessly down my cheeks as I ran down the stairs to a small bench in front of a fountain.

I sat down and put my face in my hands, crying.

"Marinette?" 

My sobbing stopped abruptly after hearing a male voice come from behind me. I secretly hoped it was Adrien, but it wasn't. Looking behind me, I saw Ethan, standing there in the full moon light. His expression was invisible to me, as the rose garden was dimly lit, but I could tell he was worried.

"Hi, Ethan," was all I could muster before he sat down next to me. He wrapped his arms around me comfortingly, and I placed my head on his shoulder. That's when I noticed how cold it was outside, like, cold enough to see my own breath. A shiver ran down my spine, something to which Ethan noticed, so he took off his servant's coat and placed over my shoulders. I smiled softly as the tears slowed down, and just enjoyed the peaceful sound of the crickets and Ethan's heartbeat.

(A/N Okay, okay, I know I haven't updated in while and I'm super sorry! And I know it's even worse because I left off at a cliffhanger on my last chapter, so please except my apology. Anyway, there will be a bit of jealousy coming from Adrien next chapter, ohohoho. Stay tuned <3)

-Lennie