The Sitch

There's a niggling part of my brain that's worried now that Lottie and I are engaged, that's it; she finally has the dazzling ring she's coveted since childhood, so why actually go the whole hog and get married? My biggest fear is that she'll neve...

There's a niggling part of my brain that's worried now that Lottie and I are engaged, that's it; she finally has the dazzling ring she's coveted since childhood, so why actually go the whole hog and get married? My biggest fear is that she'll never become Mrs Flether, and worse still, she never had the intention of doing so. 

Evidence?

The complete lack of bridal magazines. Since I popped the question, her excitement has cooled and she hasn't talked about any wedding planning apart from when I raise the subject. As far as I know, she'd much prefer a long engagement, waiting a few years until Sera's grown a little more before taking our vows. I, on the other hand, wanted us to become legally hitched sooner rather than later. Else, what was the point in getting engaged? 

"She regrets it," Mick grumbles. 

Frowning, I look over at him as he talks to the ceiling. We're both experiencing women problems thanks to our individual situations. I was worried about Lottie, and that was a valid concern, however, what Mick was experiencing was wholly different and probably needed more attention than my own issues. "Well, what did you expect?" I challenge him. "You were practically forced to kiss the woman you hate by the woman you love and you actually thought that the woman you hate would be ok with that?"

When Mick text me to tell me all about his 'situation', I'd been confused about what exactly he wanted me to say and do. One minute he was rationalising the kiss he and Lyanna shared, stating that it was just a Christmas thing because they were stood under some mistletoe- which, I must add, he strung up- but in the next moment, he was reading far too much into it, wondering why Lyanna hadn't spoken to him about the 'encounter' and wondering if she regretted it. At this point in time, Mick's of the opinion that she's regretting it.

"Or maybe she's in denial," he suggests, his facial expressions changing ever so slightly to mirror his confusion. "I mean, that kiss was... you know?"

"Strange yet sensual?" I ask, cocking my eyebrow in his direction. A shit-eating grin spreads across his face. I can't help but laugh. "That's how my first kiss with Lottie went."

Mick sighs heavily, that smile of his disappearing as quickly as it appeared. Man, was he overthinking the whole thing. "But we hate each other so really, we shouldn't be kissing. She's just pretending it didn't happen because we have to work together, too. And anyway, I overheard her on the phone to someone called Max earlier, saying that she loved him and that she'd see him when she got home. I think she has a boyfriend."

"Why do you sound disappointed with that?" I comment. I wasn't expecting an answer and from the way Mick chewed his bottom lip, I wasn't going to receive one anyway. Seeing an opportunity to change the subject, I decided to fill him in on the events of my life these past few weeks, knowing that he'd much rather take the piss out of me than vice versa. "My mother and I are on better terms now."

I explain how a day at the spa was a huge development in our relationship but all Mick wants to know is what treatments I got so he could call me a girl. I told him to get fucked. He was a little more sympathetic about May and what she'd been through and how that had impacted her life for all these years. He liked my sisters and treated them as if they were his own family, but with May, he was always more protective and until recently, I didn't understand why he was like that around her.