North Coast 500

You know how men are supposedly better than women at a lot of things? For example, driving

You know how men are supposedly better than women at a lot of things? For example, driving. Well, as it turns out, that myth is utterly false. To prove that it's all bullshit, may I present to you my father, currently spewing out expletive after expletives as he struggles to find fourth gear. 

My father thought it would be a genius idea for us to 'bond' while also making our way up to my great-grandfather's estate in Scotland. I was all for it because I hardly ever get one on one time with him but if I'd know just how much trouble it would end up being, I think I would have stuck with Charlotte and taken that extra from Edinburgh. Admittedly, I'd be stuck on a small aircraft with most of my family but that's a small price to pay if the alternative was this.

"Oh, for fuck sakes, what the fuck is wrong with you, you fucking piece of fucking shit?" Dad yells at the gearbox of the car. He puts the indicator on and pulls off the road, coming to a stop on a grass verge. I stifle my laughter as he gets out of the car and starts to pace, his hands pulling at his hair as he shouts out yet another swear word. "Fuck!"

Yeah, this is the man that I bought a Dad of the Year award for when I was seven years old. Honestly, it still surprises me that people have to ask where I get my wondrous vocabulary from. When you're a mixture of Isaac Fletcher and Alyssa Campbell, the answer is pretty obvious. To be fair, I'm pretty tame compared to how I could have ended up. 

While Dad is outside the car, kicking stones and mumbling to himself, I pull out the North Coast 500 map and try to work out where we are. North Coast 500 is Scotland's answer to Route 66 and begins and ends in Inverness. It covers 500 miles, hence the name, and lets you take in the most beautiful scenery in the country. It's rugged and harsh but captivating and breathtaking. Simply looking out the window at the view right now made my heart skip a beat. 

Tracing my finger along the map, I figure out where we are and how far we are from our destination. We were driving from Inverness, across the country towards Applecross, not far from the Isle of Skye, but somehow, Dad had driven us slightly off course. At a place called Garve, he turned off for a road that was not part of our travel plan and to our left was a huge mountain called Sgurr Mor. While I have no idea how to pronounce that, I don't care because it's hellishly intimidating and utterly beautiful.