13

Walking around the house, I opened every single door I found, peeking inside and quietly judging everything about this place

Walking around the house, I opened every single door I found, peeking inside and quietly judging everything about this place. The grey colour scheme was cold. The black and white floor tiles were too monochromatic. The kitchen was too sterile. Nothing about this house screamed 'homely' to me and I couldn't hide my distaste as I ventured into another room, hot on the heels of Sam Courtenay. 

"So, this is the master bedroom," he said, proudly waving his arm across the space in front of him. "And through that door, you'll find the master bathroom and that door there leads into the walk-in closet."

I nod. "Cool."

Sam shot me a disapproving look as he pushed me out the door and across the hall to another room. The tour continued until we were back in the kitchen and were greeted by my sister and brother-in-law, both of whom were sat around the island in the centre of the room. Sophie and Daniel had helped themselves to a cup of tea each and were giggling about something, although I was too scared to ask what they were laughing about. Knowing these two, it was probably really dirty and nothing that anyone else should know about. Over sharing was a common theme with Sophie and Daniel. 

"What do you think of the house?" Sam asked me as we approached the kitchen island. He wore a hopeful look on his face, one that made me feel instantly guilty that I had to tell him how much I disliked this place. "It's great, isn't it?"

I frowned. "No, it is not great," I tell him. Sam and I have a pact where we don't lie to one another and so far, it's worked out pretty well. Except for now. Now would probably be the time to break that pact. Pulling out a chair next to Sophie, I send Sam an apologetic smile. "I still don't get why you're moving out."

Earlier this week, Sam hit me with the news that he was finally moving back into his own house, explaining that it was about time that I got the flat back to myself. Naturally, I had protested and told him that he could stay for eternity if he wanted, but Sam was adamant. He was determined, more so that usual whenever he got an idea into his head, and nothing I could say would sway him into staying. 

"Char," Sam sighed out my name. "Your flat only has two bedrooms and you'll be needing the guest one back in a few months because the baby will need a nursery. We've been through this twenty-seven times. Nothing you're going to say will change my mind."

Sadly- for me- I knew that this was true. Not the nursery thing, although that was a fact, but I knew Sam was determined to venture off on his own again. Originally, he'd bought Daniel's old house for it to be a home for him and his girlfriend, Jasmine Gough, and got extremely excited at the prospect of finally 'adulting.' Unfortunately, things didn't go to plan and Sam and Jasmine broke up. That's how Sam ended up being my flatmate for the past five months. Of course, Sam being Sam, he tried to patch things up with Jasmine but a few weeks ago, things on that front cooled down and he'd confided in me that the relationship was over and Jasmine had gone back to New York.