33

"Remember when you were eighteen?" Isaac asks, not looking up from the array of jewels in front of him

"Remember when you were eighteen?" Isaac asks, not looking up from the array of jewels in front of him. Some were coloured gems, other diamonds, all equally expensive. "What did you want for your birthday?"

I scoff. "Bigger boobs."

The middle-aged man behind the counter of Watkins and Sons raised his eyebrows questioningly before clearing his throat and pushing a tray of jewellery in front of Isaac's nose. For the past fifty minutes, Isaac had been looking at getting Martha a ring for her upcoming birthday but now that he was presented with some necklaces, bracelets and earrings, I could see his mind changing. 

"Maybe a necklace?" Isaac questioned to no one in particular. His mind was torn and that did not bode well for me. I'd already lost almost an hour of my life that I wasn't getting back but at this rate, I'd be losing even more of my precious time. I'd already bought Martha her present and all it took me was ten minutes. Isaac sighed heavily and leaned back in his seat, brushing a hand through his hair. "Maybe I should just get her bigger boobs."

With a roll of my eyes, I shuffled closer to the edge of my seat and surveyed the offerings that were before me. The beauty of Watkins and Sons was that they stock all of the major high-end brands in store, meaning that you didn't need to traipse around several shops looking for items as they were all under one roof. My eyes automatically went to a rose gold bracelet from Cartier which I thought would be perfect for Martha. 

It was from their Love collection, where the bracelet had several screw motifs on the bracelet, with one of the screws being functional. The bracelet came with a small tool that you used to fix the bracelet around your wrist and once that thing was tightened, that was it. It was a symbol of eternal love and knowing how much Isaac loves his daughter, I thought that it would be symbolic of their father-daughter relationship. 

"This one," I point at the bracelet that I'd been eyeing up. The man in the grey suit nodded his approval and looked at Isaac for confirmation. I was here to lend a helping hand in finding Martha's birthday gift but at the end of the day, it was Isaac's decision to make. "What do you think, babe?"

"You're sure she'll like it?" He looked at me, still a little sceptical of what he should buy. Eventually, he nodded and told the man to box it up. He also pointed at a delicate necklace that had a swirly 'M' etched onto a rose gold disk and a pair of stud earring. "Maybe I'll get that birth stone ring, too. Yeah, I'll take that as well. Box it all up and if you have a gift wrapping service, I'll buy into that too. I can't wrap things up to save my life."

Boxing and wrapping Martha's gifts were taking ages and having sat down for a prolonged period of time, I needed to stand up and walk around. Having a baby sitting on your bladder takes its toll sometimes and I found walking around for a few minutes helped to shift Nugget around a little, alleviating the discomfort. As I toured the shop and searched out a few items I thought that my family might like for Christmas this year, I noticed Sam entering the shop and shaking hands with an assistant.