16

"Sam, how do you survive?" I ask, straightening up having been staring into his fridge for the past five minutes

"Sam, how do you survive?" I ask, straightening up having been staring into his fridge for the past five minutes. I've got major cravings and I will happily eat a cow if it crossed my path but Sam literally has nothing in his fridge- eggs, milk and a bit of cheese to go with the rotting mixed peppers but nothing edible. Turning to face him, I catch the end of a shoulder shrug as his lips pull into a downward frown. "Like, seriously, Sam, you have no food of any kind in this house. I'm surprised you haven't wasted away yet."

"I eat," he protests. When I scoff, he sighs and gives me a dismissive wave of his hand. "Why are you even raiding my fridge? You're here to help to help me get ready."

Putting aside my tummy grumblings, I walk over to where Sam's munching on some treats I'd brought with me and grab his hand, pulling him behind me as I lead us up to the master bedroom. It was still strange that Sam no longer lived with me but I'd made sure to visit him often enough that I was more than familiar with the layout of his house. 

The bedroom was strangely tidy and not at all how I remembered his room at my flat looking like. When he lived with me, he was the messiest housemate I'd ever had but as soon as he was in his own space and didn't have anyone to clean up after him, he was suddenly Kim and bloody Aggie. Wait, actually, he probably has a team of cleaners... that would make more sense. 

Not caring enough to actually ask him about it, I deposit Sam and his pâtisserie box on the bed and quickly go to his walk-in-closet. For a boy, he's got a boatload of clothes, more than I'm prepared to go through in the quest to help him choose an outfit. While he's rambling on and on about something boring outside in the bedroom, I take my phone from my pocket and search through the contacts until I find Sophie's name in the list. Hitting the green call button, I hold the phone up to my ear and wait until the ringing stops.

"Well, g'day, little sister," Sophie's voice speaks down the line. "How may I help you today?"

Rolling my eyes, I thank the heavens that Sophie is currently on the other side of the world because if she was in London, the fact that I'm calling her right now, would be enough to get her running over here and my patience is becoming ever more limited as my pregnancy progresses. Honestly, just seeing the colour green is enough to send me into a rage these days. 

"Hi, Soph," I say as I take a step away from the rail of shirts and let my eyes scan the rest of the wardrobe. "Sam has a date tonight with... someone... that's not important but I, uh... crap, I don't remember what I needed you for."

Aside from my increased lack of patience, I've now entered the phase of my pregnancy where I have permanent baby brain, you know, where you forget practically everything. On Thursday night, I woke up at two am and made my way to the kitchen only to get there and not remember why I'd even got out of bed. The confusion was becoming too much and the fact that I wasn't on my A-game was horrendous, so much so that it made me want to burst out crying all the time.