7

It was hard to take Sam seriously sometimes

It was hard to take Sam seriously sometimes. When I first met him, he was your stereotypical brat that you were sure to hate on first sight. Honestly, the way he smirked whenever he looked at you was enough to make you want to punch him and let's not even discuss those horrible one-liners he'd greet you with that he thought were utterly charming. They weren't and he wasn't. 

Isn't it wonderful what a few months can do to a person and your perceptions of them? Nowadays, I couldn't imagine not having Sam around, especially as I move into a new chapter of my life and needed someone just like him around. He was fun and he didn't take himself too seriously but at the same time, he was level-headed and wise beyond his years which is exactly what I needed as I sat in the doctor's waiting room. 

"Stop that," Sam said, his hand going to my knee and holding it down to stop the nervous twitches. I offer him a smile but we both know that it's weak and feeble. "It's going to be fine, Char. I promise. Plus, you've got me for moral support. Doesn't get much better than this."

I've been a wreck since last week. After Isaac stormed out of the flat, I threw up a few times more, slouched down on the bathroom floor and sobbed until Sam returned and found me like that about three hours later. He demanded to know what was going on and to his credit, he stayed unnervingly calm as I recounted the night to him.

Isaac had come over, we'd been getting along smoothly, I'd entertained the idea of telling him of my pregnancy, then I had another wave of all-day sickness, and as I threw up, Isaac had found the discarded Clearblue box that gave away the surprise news. And what a surprise it turned out to be for Isaac. No less than a minute after I confirmed his worst nightmare- that I was up the duff- he was out the door quicker than you could say, 'Wham, Bam, Thank you, Ma'am!' 

Sam was furious that Isaac had acted that way and he was swearing all colours under the sun, determined to march over to Isaac's place and give him a piece of his mind. Thankfully, I convinced Sam that it wasn't necessary. Perhaps Isaac just needed a few days to come around and then we'd be able to have a mature conversation and sort it all out. What an idealistic idea that turned out to be. Isaac never called, never text, never showed up at the door to profess his deepest regrets. I suppose that told me all I needed to know about where I stood and where he stood. He wasn't interested and so, I was going to be a single mother. 

"How about, after this, you come back to the gallery with me, huh?" Sam offered. He shot me a bright smile, probably hoping that his happiness was infectious and that I would break out into a grin, too. "We've just taken delivery of some new pieces and I need to go through them with the curator. It's always good to have someone else's perspective when it comes to choosing items."

"Mm, maybe," I offer, turning my attention back to the pamphlet in my hands. It was one that I had picked up from the displays, talking about the importance of taking various vitamins throughout the nine months. I didn't read any of the words on the front but simply stared at the diagram that was dominating the front cover. It showed how all my internal organs would displace thanks to the baby growing in my uterus, and it was quite frankly, scary. "Is that really where my stomach is going to end up?"