I shifted on the bed until I was propped on my elbows and looking at her intently.

A laugh escaped Alex. "You look like a high-schooler, Makayla."

I smirked and pictured a crazy reality where both Alex and I attended the same school. My god, what a place that would be...

"What is that face for?" Alex asked with curiosity lacing her voice.

"Nothing." I said with a smile. "Just what it would have been like going to school with—" I shook my head and buried my face into the sheets with a laugh.

"Going to school with me?" I heard Alex ask. Then I heard her footsteps approach.

I raised my head to see a dark expression in her eyes. "Well, I'm the jealous type." She said quietly as she moved. "I don't play well with other people and I am extremely competitive. So, Makayla—" she dropped down in front of me and levelled her hers with mine. "I imagine you wouldn't have many suitors in competition if I wanted you mine." She finished with complete certainty.

My pulse was singing through my veins as I took her in. I did not doubt her words for a moment.

"I'm not sure it would be that—"

"I would kiss you until you forgot your name." She blurted.

My face flushed crimson and I cleared my throat, moving back on the bed a foot. "We should get back on point."

"Indeed." She murmured. She took her seat opposite me and propped her chin on a hand. I stared at her for a moment. She smirked.

"What are you planning on doing when my father's men or the rebels come knocking on our door, so to speak." I said bluntly.

"We kill them." She said casually.

I pinched the bridge of my nose. "Yes, thank you for that wonderful insight, Scorpion." I said sarcastically. "Tell me what we will do."

She stared at me for a moment. It made me shift uneasily beneath her scrutiny because I felt that it was hard to say.

"I need to kill you."

"Excuse me?!" I shouted suddenly. What in the hell kind of answer was that! Alex continued to watch me as I scrambled for a sane reason for her words.

"If this is your idea of humour it's not—"

"It's not. And it's Proximo's idea actually." She informed me.

"Oh, that is so much better." I said bitterly. "You'd better start making sense before I test how good my aim is with a fusion pistol..." I warned.

She grinned. "As much as I'd enjoy testing that theory, I think I'll skip the suspense. We need to fake your death in order to remove you as a target in this war. You are too valuable and known to be disregarded when they come. They know what you mean to me after what took place in the rebel den that night... what's more is it could upset the Silver Sun in the process and take the emperor's crosshairs off you in the same move." She finished releasing a breath. "And sending you away... that's also out of the question." She stated quickly.

I stared at her in utter shock. Drop a bomb on my life why don't you. She was entirely serious.

"And how do you intend to kill me?" I said in a high voice. I had pressed my back tensely against the back board.

"Well, that is where we need to get creative..." She said with a devilish look. "Because it will be the rebel leader we will be convincing. He has the direct line to your father. We would kill two pompous birds with one stone." She winked.

I groaned. So there was yet no concrete plan on how we would stage my death but it would need to be in front of Hades himself.

"Makayla, I would sooner die than let any harm come to you." She stated seriously.

I shook my head and sank into the pillows behind me. "Why is everything always so impossible with you?" I sighed. "Why can I not just love someone boring." I murmured. Then froze instantly.

"Love." Alex stated unmoving.

I shifted quickly sitting upright. She didn't move, she just watched a space near me.

"Alex I—that's not—" I tripped on words.

"Not what you meant to say?" She finished emotionless.

"Yes—no. What?" I rushed.

"You love me?" She demanded, meeting my eyes .