Tomorrow Is Just Too Far Away

Alex's POV

The next day, Hayley handed us our new phones, a sack full of food, the ID's with the new names on them, some of her adopted college brother's old clothes, comforters, sleeping bags, pillows, and the information to our new bank accounts. We both thanked her for all she had done and promised we'd eventually come back to visit her when this all blew over. There was a teary goodbyes from her end and then the two of us were out the door. My heart filled with hope and good thoughts as we left the house; and went to steal another car.

We had chosen an old pickup truck in the middle of a local theme park's lot, not too far from Hayley's house. I continuously felt bad for the people whose cars we stole, but reasoned with my conscious that their insurance companies would probably reimburse them with a better, newer version of their car.... hopefully.

This time, it took a lot less anger to get the vehicle to turn on. I stepped on Jack's foot, he screamed, and the engine roared. I think the more he uses the new trick, the easier it is for him to control it. I continued to await the day until we found out what else I was able to do.

My hand accompanied Jack's on the center console as we drove along. We had decided to abandon the idea of going across to D.C., and instead were heading toward Pennsylvania up north. Our destination for the day was Towson, a city that Jack had lived in for a year back in elementary school before moving to Baltimore.

I was insistent on driving today, considering Jack had done most of the traveling yesterday. We had thrown all the supplies in the pickup and tied one of the blankets down on top of it. My eye was continually catching the plaid fabric behind us getting whipped by the wind. Every so often it would fly up and Jack would get out, tie it back down, and we'd be on our way again. When he got back in the car this time, he turned to look intently at me and decided that it was time for him to have a little fun, at my expense of course.

"Jack, stop poking my face," I demanded after about a minute of his finger not-so-softly connecting with my cheek.

"But it's so squishy," he argued, continuing to poke.

"You're ridiculous."

"That's why you like me right?" he laughed.

Suddenly, the rhythm of his taunting ceased. Before I could make some witty remark about him being obedient to me, I felt the warmth of his lips begin kissing the spot on my cheek. I tried my best to keep my eyes on the road as his lips traveled down to my neck.

"Cut it out, I'm trying to drive," I complained, lifting my shoulder to my ear in an attempt to close the space he was working on.

Ignoring me, he began slowly licking his way across my exposed collarbone and making humming noises against my skin. It became increasingly more difficult to concentrate on the road ahead of me when Jack's face had disappeared into my neck. I felt my shoulder relax into his touch and the car made a noticeable swerve.

"You're gonna get us into an accident," I hissed. He laughed and pulled away, leaning back in his chair.

"You're no fun," he whined.

"Are you going to be bored with our relationship already? It's only been two days man; thought you would last a little longer," I teased.

"Not when you're bein' icy," he fussed.

"It's not called bring icy, it's called being a responsible driver."

"Fine. I'll give you that one, Ice Queen."

"I'm not an Ice Queen!"

"Ice King."

"You're deranged."