Ch. 14 Pursuing the Persuader

Start from the beginning

"Come on, we need to catch up to him!" She told them before running after the man.

Kevin followed her and Avi slowly put weight on his foot until it felt better. Several moments went by before his foot was feeling back to normal. Quickly running after them, he caught up to Kirstie and Kevin who had stopped at a fork in the road.

"Which way did he go?" Kirstie asked as Kevin looked for clues.

"Hmm, well there are lots of clues pointing to the right." He told them, and Kirstie was about to run when he stopped her. "Wait, if he's as good as the guy who gave us the folder says he is, then he wouldn't leave obvious tracks like these. That's ameture work."

"So we go left?" Avi asked, and Kevin nodded.

"If we hurry, we could still catch up to him."

They all ran down the left road as fast as they could and just as they were about to give up, they saw him. He was trapped with nowhere to run. Two buildings were on the sides of him, and a large metal gate was blocking the exit.

"It's not nice to hit people." Kevin said when they finally caught up to him.

The man glared at them and took a few steps back.

"Me deixe em paz!!!" He yelled, getting in a defensive stance.

"Just listen to us, we only want to talk." Kirstie tried again.

"Mentiras! You can't fool me."

"We're not trying to trick you, just trust us!" Avi told him, and he started looking around.

"Eu nunca confie em ninguém." He said, then he turned around and ran towards the gate.

They didn't move because there wasn't really anywhere for him to go, but he quickly proved them wrong. He stepped on a small wooden crate, jumped on a trash can lid, and somehow hopped over the gate to the other side. With a final look over his shoulder at their shocked faces, he smirked and ran down the alley.

"You've gotta be kidding me!" Kirstie yelled to the sky.

"Wow, he's slippery. How are we supposed to catch him if he keeps doing things like that?" Avi asked.

"By following him. If he does something, then we have to be right behind him and copy what he does." Kevin told them, and Kirstie groaned.

"Ugh, I don't want to keep chasing him." She complained.

"Okay fine, how about this? Whoever catches him gets the bigger bed in the next hotel room we get." Kevin said, and Avi and Kirstie glared at each other.

Without missing a beat, the two of them quickly mimicked his moves, jumped over the gate, and ran after him while Kevin tried to cut him off in the other direction.

When the man saw them behind him, he knocked over crates with fruit and trash cans to try and slow them down. They jumped over the fallen items and were slowly starting to catch up. As they got closer, Avi suddenly stopped for a few seconds and ran off in a different direction. Kirstie paid him no attention, believing now she was going to win the bet. The man quickly turned a corner and when Kirstie did the same, she saw he was nowhere in sight.

While Kirstie looked around confused, the man quickly ran to the end of a hidden alley. His plan was to make it back in the streets and blend in with a crowd. It would've worked too, if it weren't for a huge force slamming into him and knocking him over. Slightly dazed, he looked up at his attacker and recognized it was the person whose foot he stepped on. He tried to get up, but the man had him pinned.