Chapter 1*

LANCE

The halls of the palace were empty. There was no one around. I poked my head around a marble pillar listening for any sound of footsteps.

None.

I'm free!

Smirking I took two steps into the hall and suddenly felt myself being grabbed by the collar from behind. I yelped as I was dragged back a foot losing my balance only to fall against a sturdy chest.

"Oh no you don't. You aren't getting off that easily." A familiar voice sounded from behind.

Aww I was soo close.

"Coran! I just wanted to go to the beach." I whined adjusting my blue robes as the right hand of the king and my babysitter set me upright.

The gold jewelry around my neck wrists fingers, and forehead glistened in the crystal chandeliers light.

"If your sister has to attend the council meetings in your parents stead as do you Lance." Coran twisted his orange mustache, pinching it between his gloved fingers as he eyed me daring me to challenge him.

"Ughhh, but it's so boring." I complained as my body hunched in despair.

Coran shrugged before grabbing my arm and spinning me around. We headed to the main hall where my sister Allura waited for us.

I frowned looking at her flowing white hair. A trait only found in royal Alteans.

I had been born with thick brown hair instead. I still had the infamous long pointed ears and tattoos on my cheek bones which marked me as an Altean.

Allura's Mark's were pink where mine were a pale blue. It was distinct from my tan skin.

"Ah there you are. You weren't trying to sneak off again were you?" She crossed her arms over her chest her tone was serious but her eyes were teasing. She knew how much I hated these boring gatherings.

Turning on my charm I draped my arm over her shoulders.

"Of course not Allura. What kind of prince would I be if I ignored my duties and responsibilities?" I grinned.

"You would be Prince Lance of Altea of course. He has a bad habit of doing just that." She playfully elbowed me in the ribs.

"Ow! Hey!" I rubbed my sore side.

"And exactly the kind of prince that is going to get into trouble. " She shook her head.

"Ugh fine." I wrinkled my nose.

Council meetings are super boring. It's just a bunch of old people gathered in a hall discussing things such as trade, agriculture, issues in the kingdom and neighboring kingdoms, as well as new laws, and bla bla bla.

I hope they don't catch me snoring like last time.

"Oh and Lance, try not to snore this time." Allura winked and walked away towards the front doors of the palace.

I stuck my tongue out at her retreating back, but a look from Coran sent me following after her with my lips pressed together in a firm line.
We stepped into the bright sunlight of the mid morning outside of our palace.

Altea was beautiful. The soft grass was always the color of gold silk. The trees had deep brown trunks and bright purple flowerlike leaves.

The golden meadows were patched with pops of color from all sorts of flowers. The gentle breeze blew through the blue sky.

Our grand palace rest on a hill near the shoreline. The cries of seagulls could be heard for miles. The blue-green glistening water crashed on the white sands of the shore.