Chapter 3-Running Away

I twist the doorknob using very little strength to only hear a child's screams. And before I know it, I run towards the source of the scream only to find my worst fears come true.

Mom was hitting Audrey. I quickly shield Audrey from Mom. Has she lost her mind?! They can do everything to me but not Audrey. I don't want her to have a painful childhood like I did. I will never forgive myself if that happens.

I snap out of my thoughts when Audrey scoots closer to me and tightens her grip on my arm. Her body trembling. I came too late. If only I came a little earlier then this wouldn't have happened.

This is all my fault. I take deep breaths to prevent the tears from coming out. At the same time, I also realized a forcefield had formed around me, shielding me and Audrey. I carry Audrey and take that as an opportunity to go to my room.

I lead her upstairs into my room, making sure the door is closed before I start to comfort Audrey. Her crying toned down a little bit as I rub her back and held her in my arms.

"I am so sorry Audrey, this is all my fault." I say in a quiet voice. She wouldn't have been hurt if I had come home earlier. This was all my fault and I'm to blame. She's only two. She's so innocent. How can someone be as heartless as to hurt a toddler....

Light snores interrupt my train of thoughts. She must have been tired. I place her on my bed lightly and made sure not to wake her up. I pull my comforter and covered her little body.

My mother went too far by abusing Audrey. I cannot stand by and watch Audrey get hurt. She's too young to experience the pain that I felt and I know it would scar her forever just as she did to me.

It's not something I can stand by and watch as a cheerful toddler get hurt. I need to make the right decision now before the situation accumulates to something far worst.

That is when a thought comes by. I need to pack up and leave. It's impossible to stay here. We need to run away and we need to do it right now. I grab my backpack and walk in my closet to grab some clothes.

After I packed my stuff, I sneak into Audrey's room which is not that far from mine and grab some of her stuff.

As I returned back to my room, my door was left wide open. Did Audrey wake up already?

I enter my room to find my aunt trying to inject my ch-sister with a syringe. I make my move and snatch it away from my aunt before she could lay a hand on my sister. The look on her face was replaced with shock but quickly turned into anger.

She held her hand up to slap my face but I took her hand and clenched it with so much strength to the point it changed colour. I like this new amount of confidence. I managed to catch her reaction and it was priceless. Her eyes showed one emotion that I never expected to see in this lifetime- fear. She tried to fight her arm out of my iron grip.

She was terrified by my sudden outburst of courage that she did something only a coward would do-run. I smirk at the sight. What is happening to me?

I feel my grip loosening on the syringe and it collapses on the floor. I don't know what I had in me but I did something that I never expect to in a million years. I release the tears I had been holding in. The silence that was here a minute ago was filled with me crying. This time I didn't ask why but instead I begin to question how long more must I suffer?

How can God think I can withstand this pain for as long as I live? What's my purpose of living? Is nothing good going to happen to me? I feel suffocated. The pain in my chest felt like it spread to my whole body.