Comfort Part 2

Suggested to me by sleepyyforestt and tessabridger

Hera's POV: 

I stroked Ezra's hair for many minutes after he fell asleep. I had kept myself calm for Ezra's sake, but now, my anger began to boil. Kanan had slapped Ezra, my Ezra. I refused to let it slide and slowly stood up, doing my best not to disturb the sleeping child. Ezra made a soft noise of protest as the hand in his hair left but soon settled down again. I left the cabin as quietly as I could and went to track down the Jedi that was going to give the scolding of his life. I knew Kanan would most likely be outside, no way would he be in his cabin. Not after this incident. He'd need to have fresh air to clear his head. I went down the Ghost's ramp, and sure enough, I saw the Jedi on his knees a few meters away, head bowed. I clenched my fists and approached the man.

"I know what you're going to say" Kanan said not turning around when I was close.   

"Oh really?" I raised a brow, arms crossed.

If looks could kill, I would've murdered Kanan on the spot. 

"Your angry with me about hitting Ezra" the Jedi muttered. 

"Angry? No, not strong enough a word. How about enraged? Infuriated? Inflamed? Shall I go on?" I asked.

Kanan sighed heavily before looking at me. My anger was replaced by shock at the Jedi's expression. His eyes were sorrowful and his entire face seemed shadowed. Tear tracks lined his cheeks and his shoulders were slumped.

"Kanan?" I asked.

"I still can't believe I did it. I didn't know what I was doing. One minute we were fighting and the next I'd hit him...where is he?" Kanan inquired.

"Fast asleep in my cabin, cried himself to sleep" I replied.

"His face is already bruising."

I didn't realise I could sound so deadly. My tone was as sharp as a cracking whip, every syllable pronounced and teething with anger. I may not have the Force to sense emotions, but I knew Kanan was feeling guilty and afraid of me. Anyone should be when I'm in 'Mother Mode'. 

"Hera, believe me, I regret it" Kanan said meaningfully. 

"Don't tell that to me, tell that Ezra" I told him.

"The kid probably doesn't even want to look at me right now" Kanan replied.

"That's not my fault. You created this problem so you've gotta solve it" I said before turning on my heel and walking back to the Ghost.

Kanan turned to look at me.

"Do you think he'll forgive me?" He called to me.

I stopped in my tracks, back to the Jedi.

"I'm sure he will, as long as you chose your words carefully and let him know you really are sorry. And anyways," I looked over at him.

"You're his Master, he's the apprentice. You're supposed to have a bond, aren't you?"

"I feel like I've snapped it."

"Then retie it."

I continued up the ramp into the Ghost's entry hall. Taking hold of the ladders railing, I climbed up and entered the cockpit. Standing, I went through the common room, down the corridor and stopped outside my cabin. Opening the door, I stepped quietly into the room and heard the hiss as the door closed again. I saw Ezra's curled up form on my bunk and walked over. The blanket was now lying beside the youth. I picked it up and lay it back over the teen. The boy roused and opened his eyelid a fraction. He jumped in surprise at the sight of me standing over him.

"Hey, hey. It's alright. It's just me" I soothed him. 

Ezra instantly relaxed at the sound of my voice. I cupped his uninjured cheek and moved my thumb in a circular motion. Ezra snuggled into my touch and I smiled softly.

"I spoke to Kanan" I told him and my expression was sympathetic as the boy winced at his mentor's name. 

"I spoke to him and he's really guilty about hitting you."

Ezra didn't reply.

"I know you're scared of him hitting you again, but you need to understand he didn't do it on purpose."

"Sure felt like he did it on purpose" Ezra muttered quietly.

"You know he wouldn't do that unless he was provoked to do so" I told him gently.

"What did you say that made him do it?" 

Ezra looked uncomfortable at the question but still answered.

"I...I said it was no wonder he never completed his training as a Padawan because he always pestered his Master."

My expression softened.

"Oh Ezra sweetie, Kanan's very sensitive about about his past. It's not wise to speak about it in front of him."

"I wasn't thinking! I didn't mean to! Really, I didn't...!" Ezra cried out, on the verge of tears again.

"Shh, I know you didn't mean to. Just don't do it again in the future, okay?" 

Ezra nodded feebly.

"You should try to work things out with Kanan" I told him.

The boy hesitated.

"You can't be afraid of him forever you know" I said gently.

Ezra gazed at me with those captivating, unique, blue eyes of his. 

"I know" he muttered.

I softly kissed his forehead and hugged him.

"It'll be alright" I promised.

"Thanks Hera" Ezra said.

"For what?" I asked, drawing away and studying Ezra's tanned face.  

"For the comfort. I never got it on the streets of Lothal" Ezra replied.

I smiled and embraced him again.

"Your welcome" I replied.