"Vale," the woman said, eyeing her suspiciously.

"Oh so same as the school," the old woman stated, sounding a bit unimpressed.

"What kinds of-" my question faded at the back of my throat as we rounded into a short tunnel, a light as bright as day seeping through. I stepped around the corner to be greeted with the most amazing sight I'd ever seen.

Tree roots, larger than any tree that they would be holding, hung from the ceiling like enormous chandeliers. Flowers of all types blossomed glowing petals all down the roots that curled around wooded buildings naturally. Lanterns of all different shapes and sizes hung from the roots.

Tall buildings took place of pillars, reaching from the floor to the ceiling and providing support to the underground structure. All the buildings were made from the same type of moss ridden wood.

I stepped from the mouth of the tunnel, quickly approaching one of the bioluminescent flowers. I looked in awe at the glowing petals, reaching out to touch them before someone smacked my hand away. I looked up in alarm and nearly yelped in surprise. The man standing before me was growling in agitation. I slowly backed away from what was apparently his garden.

I looked over the underground cavern to see many serene looking men and women, going about their daily routine. Occasionally I would see groups of animals traveling together. "This is where we leave you," the woman explained. "Your headmaster should be here soon to take you to the Outercity."

"Am I the only one late?"

"How the hell should we know?" the man snapped. I turned away, more than a little embarrassed.

My grandmother sat down on a dangling tree root. She patted the seat next to her and we waited.

It wasn't long before a parade of animals started approaching us. From the middle of the procession came a golden glow. I peered over the heads of the various animals in awe. What could they be hiding?

The entourage opened up in front of us, revealing a beautiful gold lithe figure. Its pointed ears were angled forward and its eyes were closed elegantly. The long snout of the figure was pointed into the air with importance but not arrogance.

The glow emitted from the creatures fur was blinding and yet I couldn't look away. And yet, the most alarming thing was that the creature before me had nine tails. The nine tailed animal opened her shining eyes and I saw the kindness within them.

"Child, step forward," the creature spoke with a woman's voice. I was dumbstruck. What the hell was this? "Do not be alarmed. I am a Kitsune of the Foxfire Council and your Headmaster. If you would be less alarmed with me in my human form, I can shift."

"No, that's- fine," I stuttered. This was a whole new level of weird. I'd known about shapeshifting for most of my life, but in a few short days my world in Arizona had gotten a lot smaller. I wasn't the only one out there and I also wasn't the most unique out there.

This whole civilization had been living right at my feet the whole time. Literally.

"Well, then we must take you above ground, to meet your new classmates and get you settled," she informed me. "You must have so many questions." She looked towards me in sympathy. I nodded and she turned away from me. "Come walk with me." I grabbed my bag and guitar case and followed, my grandmother close on my heels.

"You may speak," she prompted.

"I don't know what to ask first," I admitted.

"Why don't I start with answering your question on what a Kitsune is?" she suggested, as though she'd read my thoughts. "I am reading your thoughts right now."