I had gone a little overboard with Martha and Isaac because this was our first holiday season together but no one had to know about that. Those were gifts I was going to give them away from prying eyes while handing out the smaller gifts in the presence of the others. For Martha, I'd bought her scented candles because apparently, she loves those things; in her house, every room has at least ten on display and she can't stop adding to the collection. Isaac, on the other hand, was going to receive a silver photo frame with a picture of the most important person in the world to him held behind the glass. I have to say, Michael Taylor photographs well. 

Lucas was going to be the new owner of some computer game that he's been banging on and on about and for Daniel, I'd bought him some jumpers for his dogs. Whenever Sophie tried to buy doggy outfits for Alfie and Hetty, Daniel made her take them back; if he was to receive them as gifts, he can't take them back and that means those two dogs were going to look adorable on Christmas Day. 

Everyone else was still on my list to shop for but that's really what today is about and failing that, that's what internet shopping is about. 

"Léa will love it but I'm not sure that Sophie and Daniel will appreciate having a dancing and singing pig in the house," Emma comments as she inspects the toy Martha held up. Pressing a button, she laughs as the pig starts to jiggle its arse and singing some song that I've never heard of nor will I ever want to hear again. Sera, however, was happy enough with the performance as she started to wriggle in Emma's arms. "Do you like that, Seraphina? Is that something that you want, baby girls? Do you want Aunt Emma to buy that for you?"

Snatching it from Martha's hands, I throw the pig teddy back on the shelf and walk away. There was no chance in hell that Sera was having that toy. She could have the world, but a singing and dancing pig was not on the list. Plus, she's obsessed with that kangaroo teddy. Whenever we leave the house and that teddy isn't with her, she screams bloody murder until it's is. I've never seen anything like it. 

"I think I've come up with a great present for you, Charlotte," Emma laughs as she begins to follow me into the next aisle of the shop. "Valium."

"Cheers," I sarcastically answer. Randomly picking up another toy, I look at it and decide to throw it in the shopping cart before strolling on again. Mindlessly, I add a few more items. "I'm going to get married in Scotland in May."

Catching them both off-guard, I feel the front of the cart ram into the back of my legs as Martha loses control. Emma lets out a curse word, too. Spinning angrily, I glare at my sister before reaching out and taking my daughter from her. Who swears in front of a baby, for fuck sakes?

"You want to get married in Scotland?" Emma splutters when she finally falls in to step with me. From the corner of my eye, I can see the panic on her features. "Harlow will never stand for that. Do you remember what she said when she heard that I was getting married in New York? What about the announcement that Sophie was going to be married in England? We all know that Lucas is never going to get married because he's too cool for that, so really, you're her last hope for an Irish wedding and you choose to get married in Scotland? The only way this could be worse is if you eloped to France."

I abruptly stop, the shopping cart hitting me once again. "France doesn't sound like a bad destination, either."

"Oh, God, I'm giving you ideas," Emma sighed heavily. "Look, Charlotte, all I'm saying is... actually, no, forget what I'm saying. If Sophie and I had to suffer through the wrath of Harlow Delaney, so should you. Get married in Scotland. It'll be fun. You can have a Highland Games wedding. I'd pay for the entire thing."

"But the men would have to wear kilts," Martha adds, distaste clear in her words. "Traditionally, the men go commando underneath. I've seen my dad naked and that is not something that I want to inflict on anyone else should a gust of wind catch him on the day."