Chapter 10: Swan Boots & Little Devils

Harry's POV

I finish pulling my hair up into a bun before grabbing my black jacket and shrugging it on, satisfied with my chosen outfit.

I walk out of the bedroom and head into my small office to check my emails, sitting myself down and waiting for my laptop to turn on.

My knee bounces up and down, impatient for them to load and see if the one I'm waiting on has responded.

And it has.

I hold my breath as I skim through the pleasantries and get to what I want to know.

And there it is.

Ms. Westlake is most certainly able to continue her research work for us whilst residing overseas.

I sit back in my chair and let the welcomed news sink in for a few moments before turning my laptop off and heading out and down the stairs, only to be greeted by a very irritated little girl, stomping all the way out of her room and towards the kitchen.

Wonder what's got her so annoyed?

She's too quick for me to stop and ask her what's going on as I watch her charge on into the kitchen.

"Better?" I hear her ask.

"Much," Beth replies to her, "excited to go shopping?"

"Yes! I wonder what he'll buy me?" she asks Beth.

"Now listen," Beth's voice becomes serious and I stop in my tracks, "just because we know Harry can afford to buy you anything-"

"Doesn't mean he has to," interrupts her, "mama I know."

I feel a sudden sense of pride that she already has such morals at her age.

"Good girl," Beth replies, "just try and keep the excitement level down so you don't get too caught up in it."

"You know I don't get too excited mama," she says.

"I wasn't talking about you," Beth says, "I was referring to Harry."

Pity I can't always say the same about her cheeky mother.

I slowly walk closer to the entrance to the kitchen, careful not to be seen or heard.

I know I really shouldn't be eavesdropping but...

"You are not getting a pony!" Beth raises her voice again and it makes me jump in fright.

Silence.

"Sweetheart," she says more gently and I can hear her footsteps as she moves, "we can't take a pony home with us anyway, it wouldn't fit in a seat on the plane..."

There's a small giggle in return.

"And it would never be able to pull that tray table down in front of it I'm sure," she adds.

"But we're not going home are we?" Chloe suddenly asks.

Way to ask the important questions.

"Well, yes we are," she begins, "our visas run out after six months, so we have to I'm afraid."

No you don't, you don't have to.

"Don't you want to stay?" Chloe asks.

Please say yes.

I want you to.

I want you to stay.

"It's complicated," she sighs, "there's a lot more to it..."