Chapter 2: Main Meals & Dying Ducks

Harry's POV

We make our way through the passageway to the private plane awaiting us on the tarmac.

I had persuaded Beth that this would be much easier and hopefully less intrusive on us. Or at least give us extra time to ourselves in case my fans cottoned on to where we were.

I glance over my shoulder to see the boys behind me, Nick on his phone and his headphones in like most teenagers these days.

Shit I sound just like a dad.

Jamie is just giddy with excitement now, no longer anxious as he was this morning when Beth patiently went over our schedule with him over breakfast.

I've learned that he's not one for change and needs to know what's going on in order to maintain a sense of order and control, more so for his own peace of mind.

I think back to when we went out for a picnic recently and ended up staying longer than we'd anticipated and the ensuring meltdown he had because of it and how draining it was for Beth mentally as she bore the brunt of it. He ended up being so contrite and apologetic over it but she took it in her stride and simply hugged him and replied, 'I know.'

She casually walks behind the boys, like she's herding us all.

Well she is a sheep farmer.

Harold you are indeed one hilarious chap.

I laugh internally at my joke when I feel my hand being gently squeezed and I look down to see Chloe skipping along as she smiles up at me and I return it just as easily.

Yes you have me wrapped around your little finger Princess.

The cool air greets us as we exit from inside the building and out onto the tarmac, the airport staff guiding our path towards the airplane.

The two pilots are standing next to the stairs chatting to themselves as we walk up and one of them smiles in greeting before turning and walking up the stairs and disappearing inside the plane.

The remaining pilot extends his hand for me to shake and I return it as he welcomes us.

I've barely answered him before he moves onto Beth and gives her a handshake as well.

A much longer handshake.

A two-handed handshake.

That's really quite enough I think.

He completely ignores me as we head over to the stairs, his whole conversation is with Beth.

But it's when he compliments her and calls her a beautiful woman that I decide enough is enough.

Not that she isn't but he's definitely overstepping the pilot-passenger boundaries in my book.

I let go of her hand and wrap it around her shoulder, pulling her close to me and earning a funny kind of squeak out of her. I look down at her and realise I might be kind of squishing her a bit too hard.

And not in a good way.

I ease my grip on her slightly.

That is until he mentions there's a bed on the plane.

Before I can help it, my grip tightens on her again.

I quickly shoo the kids up the stairs and then Beth, putting myself between her and Captain Fancypants here.

We reach the doorway of the plane and the kids are beyond excited as they make their way to the seats at the front with Beth trailing behind them.

I watch as she stops to adjust their seatbelts and make sure they're comfortable before she moves further down the back.