Chapter 16: Friend or Foe

Start from the beginning

"Yes, I understand", Josh said. They walked out of the room and the group started to talk.

"I can't believe that Josh is working for them", Randi stated, "He finally caught up with his group and he is holding them captive."

"I'm sure he has some sort of plan. I bet that he will probably be coming with us as soon as we leave", Ray said, "It wouldn't be like him to give up on his friends."

"But did you see the way that he acted. He is that stupid old man's puppet. He does whatever the old man wants", Jane stated.

"He has definetly changed", Martin added, "But I'm not quite sure that it's for the best."

"I don't like it", Ben stated, "I'm sure that if he was told that he had to shoot us he probably would."

"Don't talk like that, Ben!" Jessica demanded, "He's our friend. He wouldn't do anything like that."

"I'm not so sure anymore", Ben doubted, "He is different. And I don't think he would stand up for us anymore."

"I don't care what you think, Ben", Jessica stated, "I believe that he will help us and that's that."

"I agree with Jessica", Tavis added, "He told us what we need to know to make it out of this. I think he wants to help."

"Okay, people!" some armed men shouted as they came into the theatre, "It's time to head out. We are going to get you some food and send you packing! Anybody who tries to escape or fight us will be shot! Do you understand?"

They started to untie everybody from there chairs. A group of them aim their guns at the prisoners, to make sure that they wouldn't escape. The men dragged their prisoners into the centre walkway of the theatre. Then they herded the group out of the theatre and into a small room near the lobby. There were bowls of soup waiting for them, and one slice of bread for each of them. The armed guards sat them down, then left. The group was eating in silence until Travis asked,

"So what's the plan after this?"

"Well we basically just leave the city. Keep going east, towards Toronto", Ben answered.

"What about Josh? Do you think that he will rejoin the group?" Martin questioned.

"Of course he will", Randi stated, "He is our friend. He will stay with us."

"I don't care about Josh!" Pablo stated, "I just hope that we don't have to walk the whole way!"

"I doubt we will get a ride", Ray chuckled, "Not with the way that they are treating us."

"We are lucky enough to even have been given a meal. They could've just sent us packing as soon as they could", Martin added.

"I bet that Josh is trying to convince the old man to let us stay for the night", Randi stated. It turns out Josh was having a conversation with Samuel at that very moment.

"Can't you let them stay for the night, Samuel?" Josh asked, "It's late, and I don't expect that they would make it out of the city alive."

"That's there problem, not mine", Samuel stated.

"But they have children. They are people too. What if they were your family? Would you send them packing as well?"

"Of course I wouldn't tell them to leave."

"Then why are you being so difficult on these people?"

"Because I need to ensure that my people stay alive. If I didn't know better, I'd say that you know these people. For whatever reason you really want these people alive, and it confuses me. Why do you care so much about people you don't even know?"