Chapter 16: Unexpected Consequences

Chat Noir sat on the chaise and held Marinette in his arms while she drew. He couldn't feel her hair between his fingers or his soft her skin would feel against his, but he imagined they'd both be soft.

"Chat?" she asked. He hummed in response, revelling in the feeling of her in his arms. "I have a question and it's sort of personal. So no annoying puns, okay, Kitty?"

He chuckled lightly and tightened his grip around her, pulling her back against his chest. "Sure thing. What's up, Mari?"

"Well, I sorta have this crush on a friend of mine, but I don't know what to do." she whispered. Chat's arms locked around her and his heart raced. He didn't dare move.

"What friend?" he asked.

She giggled, "Don't worry, Kitty. He's a friend from school."

That didn't help at all. So he distracted himself by playing with her hair. "Who is it?" he managed, proud of himself for keeping his voice even.

She blushed and stopped drawing. "I can't tell you that." she mumbled, "But he's really sweet, kind and such a great person to be around."

"So not much of a looker then." he snorted, muffling his laughter against her head.

Marinette sighed, "No, he definitely is. He's just perfect in every way." She slouched in his embrace and Chat felt strangely happy with her pressed against him on her chaise. "But there isn't any way he'd even notice me."

Chat frowned, "Why would you say that, Princess?"

She pulled away and turned to face him, sitting with her legs crossed between them. "I mean, he's completely out of my league. He's so smart, brilliant even, athletic, funny and so easy to talk to. He doesn't judge and he's quick to forgive. And he's not rude. He's just a little shy, but in a respectful way...and I'm just...me."

He leaned towards her and placed his hand on her shoulder. "There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, Mari," He tilted her chin up so she would look at him and drank in the sweet scent of her strawberry shampoo. "You're an amazing girl and if he doesn't see it then...maybe it's just not meant to be."

Marinette averted her gaze to the floor and chucked nervously, "You must think I'm insane. Don't you?" He ruffled her hair and smiled, but it wasn't cheeky like all the others. It was genuine and it didn't surprise him in the least when the words flew from his mouth.

"I think you're brave, Mari. I think you're absolutely wonderful and there isn't any chance this guy wouldn't want to be with you. Hell, if I didn't have my heart set on my Bugaboo...I might even feel a little threatened by him."

She blushed and shook her head, "Silly kitty." She sighed then and rested her head in her palms. Like the day Chat first met Ladybug... "Sometimes I just wonder. I've spent the past two years crushing on him, Chat. What if...what if it's all been for nothing?"

Chat thought for a moment, staring at her beautiful, cheerful face and thought back to all the moments he'd shared with her since the day they'd first met at school. There wasn't any reason for a guy not to want her. Half the class had already.

The thought made his chest heavy, but he shook it off. There wasn't any reason for him to feel this way about her. And he certainly couldn't let it interfere with her life –not while he loved Ladybug. Maybe if he saw her with him. Maybe then it would be easier.

"I think you should tell him." he murmured, "Since this guy is already a friend of yours he obviously notices you and maybe this...shyness...is what's holding him back. I mean..." She stared up at him, taking in every word he said and he noticed how her eyes sparkled when it was cloudy.