Chapter 17: Crushed

Marinette was too afraid to open her eyes. Everything inside her tensed and constricted painfully as she waited for his answer. It felt like hours were passing between them in the eerie silence. His breathing had stopped completely and Marinette's skin felt too warm.

The hand on her shoulder slid away and Marinette's heart tore in two.

"Marinette." he whispered. She couldn't see his face, but she didn't need to. She knew by his low tone that he pitied her –that he didn't feel the same way. How could he? Chat Noir had been wrong. She wasn't good enough for him.

"Adrien." Natalie's voice was like steel, cutting through the tension in the air and giving Marinette the resolve to move away. She took a step back and lowered her head, furiously blinking her eyes so no tears would fall in front of him. "We need to go now."

She didn't hear Adrien's footsteps as he moved, but somehow he was right beside her. "Marinette, I'm so sorry, I –,"

"Don't." The word felt raw on her throat and her eyes stung. She didn't want to hear it. She didn't want to know why. All she wanted was to be left alone –to get as far away from his as possible. "It's okay, Adrien. I understand."

Marinette blinked back her tears and forced a smile at him. "You don't need to say anything. It was a stupid thing to say anyway." Her lower lip trembled, "I hope we can still be friends."

Natalie's voice called out again, this time softer and Adrien moved towards the car. Once behind the tinted windows, Marinette couldn't see him anymore and she allowed a few tears to slip down her cheeks.

He drove off down the street without her and took her heart tortured heart with him.

Alya's hands wrapped around her shoulders and pulled her close. "Girl," she sighed, "I'm so sorry." She caught sight of Nino over Alya's shoulder. He was frowning, his lips pulled into a taunt line and Marinette clung tightly to her best friend.

"I wasn't good enough. H –he didn't –,"

"Don't you dare talk like that Marinette." hissed Alya, "That prissy prince charming doesn't know half of what he's missing out on." Alya's grip around her loosened and she brushed Marinette's fringe out her face. "Let's get you home. You've had a long day."

Marinette wiped her face with her hands, bringing more tears to the surface of her burning eyes. "But Nino –,"

"Will get home by himself." replied Alya. She shot Nino a sideways glance and he nodded solemnly. He kissed her forehead and gave Marinette a sad smile.

"My girl's right though Marinette. My boy's an idiot." Marinette chuckled sorrowfully and Alya guided her away from the school building towards her home.

"It'll get better." mumbled Alya, "I promise you."

Marinette felt a familiar and comforting pressure against her thigh as Alya continued to sooth her. Tikki probably wanted to comfort her as well, but it only made her cry harder, terribly aware of the sympathetic stares she got as they walked away.

And nothing, not even Ladybug's luck, felt strong enough to mend her broken heart.