Chapter 45: Revelation

Marinette rolled on her side, her hands brushing over the bed sheets, and groaned out. Her entire body felt sore, her limbs numbed and her back burning. She felt hot, too hot, and every breath she took made her stomach lurch.

A hand lay gently on her shoulder and Marinette lolled her head back as two luminescent eyes came in to view. "It's okay." he whispered, "Just rest."

"Chat?" she asked, her throat dry and voice soft. He gave her a small smile and pressed something moist and cold against her forehead. She flinched back and touched it lightly, the cloth soft and welcome against her scorching skin.

She felt so tired and with Chat nearby it was easy to be seduced to sleep, but she remembered how she got here. And how he'd found out her secret.

"Hawk Moth," she rasped, "Did he -?"

"He's been taken care of." replied Chat. Marinette wanted to feel comforted by his words, but a bigger part of her was worried. He'd been so enraged when he'd arrived to save her and it was how Chat had dealt with him afterwards that troubled her.

"How?" she asked. Chat sighed and pulled himself closer until his side was lightly pressed against the length of her body.

"You saved my life again." he said, "Just like that first time. You were always so brave and selfless. I don't know how I never noticed it was you, Milady."

Marinette closed her eyes and frowned, "I'm sorry I never told you. I'm so sorry -," He kissed her tenderly and she felt him smile against her lips.

"Don't be sorry." he said, "Sure I was shocked and confused in the beginning, but I was happy. I was so happy to know I fell in love with the side of you without the mask."

She smiled shyly at him, "You're not disappointed?"

Chat smile fell away and his eyes hardened, "I'll never be disappointed in you, Marinette. Hell," he chuckled, "You've made me fall in love with you twice." He brushed her hair back from her cheek and kissed it. "And I relive that feeling every day when I'm around you."

Marinette frowned, "His kwami –,"

"He went home." He smirked then, "For something with such small wings he doesn't seem to have a problem with long distances." Marinette snorted and stared up at Chat Noir expectantly, waiting for him to tell her everything.

"I had to grab his pendent and Plagg's powers fused with Nooroo's. I had the power to destroy memories." His voice softened and his eyes dulled, "Hawk Moth wouldn't have changed his mind. It was the only way."

"You saw him? Where is he now?" she asked.

Chat Noir tilted his head to the side and flickered his ears. Marinette smiled cutely and he returned it. "He's at home in bed, waking up from what he thinks was just another bad dream in the Agreste manor."

"Agreste? You mean?" The look in his eyes said it all. "You're sure he won't remember?" 

Chat Noir shook his head and Marinette frowned. "I can't imagine what Adrien would've felt if he found out." Her heart pained for him. Her feelings might've died with Chat Noir's arrival, but he was still her friend and she cared deeply for him.

"I wouldn't worry about him." replied Chat, "He's stronger than he looks."

Marinette pressed her body against him, "No one's that strong, Chat. Not even you." The light in his eyes dimmed and Marinette grabbed his gloved hand in her own.

She hated the look in his eyes, but she wanted him to know. He didn't need to pretend around her. She was there and she wasn't going anywhere.

"Marinette." said Tikki, "You should really go back to sleep."