Chapter 22: Nothing But Bad Luck

Adrien didn't know what to think anymore. Ladybug was a part of him, a part of his identity as a superhero. But Marinette...there was something about her, something special and he couldn't get her out of his mind.

The thought of her beneath the pale moonlight, under the spell of Paris, pressed against his chest made his heart beat faster and his body heat. He'd been so shocked when she'd kissed him at the sparks rushing through his body. It'd been so unexpected and so deliciously welcome.

But it was over now. He was Adrien again, the boy she couldn't even look at. He'd broken her heart and the thought of not being able to hear her beautiful laughter or make her smile made his gut wrench. He needed that. He needed her.

He sat down beside Nino and risked a glance behind him. Marinette's head was down; the dark strands of her fringe brushing against her thin brows and making her eyes stand out against her pale skin. Her lips were pursed and her eyes were dazed as she concentrated on her drawing.

The urge to see it was overwhelming and Adrien moved closer. Only for Nino to yank him back down in his seat. Adrien shot his head to his best friend, but Nino wasn't so nonchalant like always. His back was rigid and his eyes were hard. "Dude, walk away." he muttered.

Adrien slumped back in his seat and sighed, "Nino –,"

His best friend pressed a finger to his lips and gestured to Alya behind him. "Talk later." he mouthed. When Adrien saw Alya glaring daggers in his direction, he didn't question it. Maybe Nino had a plan to help him fix all this.

The thought of losing Marinette forever scared him more than the nightmares he had of facing Hawk Moth.

Adrien couldn't concentrate that lesson. Every now and then he found himself thinking back to their dance on the Eiffel Tower. She couldn't hear it, but a small band of people had been practicing beneath them. Nothing special, just two boys with a trumpet and violin, but it was so beautiful and he'd wanted so badly to share that with her now.

If only he'd just told her he l–

"Adrien." His head snapped up as the sound of Miss Bustier's voice. She and half the class were staring straight at him. "Can you tell me what the difference is between redox reactions and acid-base reactions?"

Adrien thought back to all his private tutoring with Natalie. "One involves the transfer or electrons and the other protons." he replied. Nino sighed out in relief beside him and the teacher frowned.

"Very good, Agreste." she replied, "But remember to pay attention." He turned his head to the side, grateful for the chance to glance back at Marinette. And her eyes caught his.

They were dark, filled with multiple shades of blue that sparkled through the sunlight. He could stare at her all day. But then she turned away and he could swear he saw them dim. He turned his head back to the front and forced himself to think of anything besides the guilt gnawing inside of him.

His attention settled on the clock about Miss Bustier's desk and he spent the rest of the day watching it, waiting for his chance to speak with her again.