CHAPTER FORTY-ONE

Start from the beginning

    Krayson frowned and averted his gaze. "I doubt I will be of much assistance, my lady. Diplomacy is not among my skills."

    "It's enough not to be alone."

    He opened his mouth to say something, closed it again, then opened it once more.

    Pacifica raised an eyebrow at him. "Yes?"

    This time, he was the one turning a little red. "I don't know how to phrase it."

    "Admitting that much is more than many negotiators are willing to do." Pacifica smiled. "Go on, Brother Joshuan. I promise not to be offended."

    He pressed his lips together before speaking. "This will be only your second negotiation since losing your bond with Adar the Ascendent. Might that be the source of your unease?"

    Pacifica clasped her hands in her lap and stared at them. "I'd be lying if I said that wasn't part of it. A large part. In Drok Moran, it was simple. The Nadians already knew what we wanted and were practically falling over themselves to give us all we needed to leave. Even so, I felt... incomplete. Like a part of me was missing."

    Saveen flapped her wings, mindless of how she battered them against Krayson's face. "We'll get the Eldest back, my lady," she said with confidence. "I know we will. We got Kimpo back, and we'll do the same for Adar."

    "Saveen," Krayson said, fending off her wings. "Would you mind terribly if I asked you to head to the edge of the village and do some scries? I'm worried Omolade might try summoning the fey army Nkeoma failed to."

    Pacifica came alert. He wouldn't be... Oh no.

    Saveen cast a quick look between her and Krayson before her face split into a wide grin, and she nodded. "As you say, master. I'm getting good at divination. I'll... take my time with it, though."

    "Not too long," Krayson said. "I want you back before the talks start."

    Saveen muttered something under her breath that neither of the mortals were quite able to catch. She grasped the window ledge with her claws and heaved it open before leaping outside and taking wing.

    "Thundering lizard," Krayson grumbled as he shut the window again. He sat back down and faced Pacifica, looking somewhat anxious. "My lady... Lady Regent, I should say. There was something I wished to discuss with you, now that we're alone."

    "O-of course. Please, go ahead." Pacifica felt her heart racing. Surely, Krayson hadn't asked Saveen to go because he wished for a private moment.

    I mean, it's Brother Joshuan, Pacifica thought.

    Then again, he'd proven himself capable of surprising Pacifica before. The inexplicably charming things he'd said at their first meeting, his quiet intellect, not to mention how he led the unison link that saved her life. Maybe it wouldn't be such a terrible thing if he was about to extend an offer of courtship. Pacifica sat up straight and prim, her hands folded in her lap, and she tossed her head slightly to get a few wayward strands of hair out of her eyes.

    He looked down, unable to look her in the face. "This is awkward for me."

    "It's alright, Brother Joshuan. I'm listening." Waves and tides, but this was precisely as she imagined it going.

    "I want you to know that I am not making this proposal lightly. I have given it a great deal of thought."

    "Yes?" Go on, go on! You're following the script perfectly!