CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE

Reyn hadn't expected to make it all the way across the Espalla Dunes to the Jade Empire without experiencing trouble. She had, however, hoped the first instance of trouble wouldn't have come less than an hour after the mission started.

It began with a quiet murmur rising among the Espallans riding behind her. It soon spread, and before long, a lone hallah was sent from the back to the front, his camel kicking up sand as it raced along the three hundred riders to reach where the hallah'ha and the executor rode.

Reyn peered out from underneath the white silk scarf she wore over her face and strained her ears to hear what was said. She caught a few words, but when all those words were in Espallese, Reyn decided it was a futile effort.

The Aleesh delegation rode near to the front of the single-file caravan. Reyn's party of fifteen seemed especially few in comparison to the numbers of the Espallans when the caravan stretched out for what looked like a league and a half.

Josy urged her camel ahead to ride alongside Reyn. "Can you tell what's going on?"

Reyn shook her head and removed the scarf from over her mouth. She left the trailing end draped over her shoulder.

"It wouldn't be Melcians, would it? They'd have to get through a lot of orcs to make a go at us."

"I cannot even guess," Reyn replied. "Is Garret secure?"

"Still out like a broken gaslight. Whatever that tonic Enfri gave me was, it knocked him out like nothing else. Good thing, too, or we'd still be wrestling him onto his camel."

"Best he stays unconscious if there is trouble," Reyn said.

She glanced sidelong at Josy. The duchess wasn't wearing any of the protective garments offered to them by the Espallans. Whether she trusted in her wards to protect her from the harsh environment or she was simply being foolish remained to be seen. The desert in early morning had so far proven unexpectedly comfortable. At least, the temperature had. Reyn thought the dryness was going to be the death of her by the end.

Sending a selkie into the desert, she thought. I misjudged Enfri. I didn't realize she intended this to be my death sentence.

To make things somewhat easier to endure, Reyn had assurances from Lita that the Jade Empire was a land flush with lakes and rivers. Reyn imagined that once the desert was behind her, she would steal away from her escorts and spend an entire day under the water's surface before coming back up for air. She was certain to be aching for moisture by then.

Not even an hour into the desert, and Reyn was already longing for a puddle.

I'm going to die out here.

"Alright, I see what the comuckus is about," Josy said.

"Do enlighten me, my lady."

Josy tapped her on the shoulder then pointed into the sky behind them. Reyn looked where she indicated and saw a large shape approaching the caravan on golden wings.

"This is not likely to be good," Reyn grumbled.

"Is that a gold? I didn't think you had any after Elise stole the one you had."

Reyn shook her head. "Adar has a mate and several adult children in Ecclesia. That is Khoe the Radiant. She joined the legion after Adar was captured."

"Adar's mate?"

"His eldest daughter. I do not know why she would follow us unless there is an emergency back in Sandharbor."