CHAPTER FORTY-ONE

Pacifica had a bad feeling since she woke that morning. It hadn't abated in the slightest as she prepared to head into Sandharbor, and it only got worse throughout her ride in the steam carriage. She was a complete bundle of nerves by the time the slate-tiled roofs of the village came into view.

    Pacifica tried to focus on the village itself. It was a quaint town, orderly and homey. From the way Enfri had spoken of it during unguarded moments, Pacifica had built up some lofty expectations for the place. So far, Sandharbor looked more than capable of living up to them.

    That couldn't hold her attention. She kept thinking about what waited for her ahead.

    Pacifica cast a surreptitious look at Brother Joshuan, sitting opposite from her in the carriage. She could and had admitted to some measure of infatuation with the boy and didn't think she could be blamed for it. He was, after all, the one primarily responsible for challenging the very concept of death and returning her to life. That sort of thing had a way of ingratiating a young man to a young woman. Adding to that, he was intelligent, kind-hearted, and more than a little handsome. Starra had even gleefully reported to her that Krayson was expressing some small interest in exploring a romantic relationship. One of the few problems was how useless he was at noticing Pacifica's regard.

    Oh, Saveen and Starra were both dropping hints on his head that would clue in a stone, but Pacifica would rather they wouldn't. It wasn't as if she intended anything, and it certainly wasn't like she could just outright tell him if she did. Absolutely not! A princess couldn't just confess her attraction.

    Her expression fell. No, Krayson wouldn't ever likely be the sort of paramour Pacifica desired. She longed for someone who could be casually affectionate— like Ban was with Rippling Moon— and as admirable as Krayson was, that wasn't him.

    She recalled the feel of soft lips against hers. A gentle hand around her waist as she was pulled back into the sunlight. Then months later, a similar situation. Darkness and an unfathomably great Beyond her mind couldn't even begin to comprehend. And then, waking once more with those same lips on her mouth, another's sweet breath mingling with her own and reaching into her very soul.

    Pacifica startled. Waves and tides, why had she started thinking about that? No, no, no, Pacifica had a courting preference for men. Men! At least... that's what she'd always assumed about herself.

    She buried her face in her hands and shook her head. She wanted distraction, but not like this. Why in the name of tides had Enfri given the reins of her empire to a complete and utter twit of a princess?

    "My lady, are you well?" Krayson asked.

    Pacifica's eyes snapped up. "What?"

    "Flames," Saveen mumbled. "I haven't seen a journey of facial expressions like that one since... well, since ever."   

    The blood rushed to Pacifica's head so fast there was an all too real risk of losing consciousness. She was mortified. Floundering mortified. She would've been had she been alone, but to have someone actually witness her small psychotic break was a thousand times worse.

    Pacifica took in a breath to steady herself and let it out again. "It's nothing. Just trying to distract myself."

    "Meditation?" Krayson asked.

    "Something like that." Pacifica leaned her head against the window and sighed. "I want to thank you, Brother Joshuan."

    "For what?"

    "For being here. Starra has her own responsibilities and can't wait around for me while I'm regent. I don't think I could do this on my own."