CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

Enfri slept like a rock. After missing her rest the night before, she dropped off as soon as she lay her head down on Jin's chest and didn't wake until after sunrise. She'd needed to apologize for the spot of drool she'd left on Jin's nightdress, unfortunately. Once dressed and outside, she found that her tent stood in the middle of an empty field.

The legion marched at last, and the blaggards had left their empress behind.

Deebee and the crew, as well as five of Mistress Hana's maids, had stayed behind to guard her as she got some much-needed sleep. Before long, Deebee flew her a league north to catch up with her soldiers.

Enfri then rode on Spider near the middle of the columns of armsmen and wagons, taking in the sights of an army on the move. She would ride up alongside the officers of each company she passed and ask after the soldiers' health. After giving them words of encouragement and praise, she'd move on to the next.

She checked in on other groups as she went and might have spent a little too much time speaking with the goblin green ones. Her studies with them for Moon's upcoming delivery were progressing well, though both she and they weren't quite sure of what to expect from a feyling baby. As best they could tell, Moon and her white one remained in the best of health. Enfri wanted to make certain things stayed that way.

It still felt strange how easily the green ones accepted Enfri among them. Not a one had raised so much as a peep against teaching her everything they knew of medicine. Enfri now felt confident enough to treat a fey suffering from an iron or salt burn. She also learned exactly what mortal remedies would be ineffective on fey biology and which could be dangerous. In return, Enfri provided the green ones with what meager knowledge she'd learned from her mother and grandmother. They'd written it all down on calfskin scrolls as if they were the words of a revered master, and Enfri offered them the chance to look over her book collection if they ever wished.

She then checked in with Landon's pilgrims, taking extra time to make sure little Vinri and the other Aleesh children were well. It warmed her heart when the whole pack of them ran up to her cheering as if she were their older sister.

There were several points to be discussed with Landon, also. Chief among them, several of the younger Aleesh men and women were showing an interest for receiving armsman training, and even induction into the Arcane Knights.

With reluctance, Enfri gave them leave to petition Ban to join the legion. She'd just found her people, so she was hesitant to give them the opportunity to run off into danger. Still, Deebee did say how wonderful she thought it was that Aleesh would soon start receiving true dragon bonds again.

Before leaving the pilgrims, Enfri caught sight of Kai, the blind guide. She felt that strange sensation of familiarity again. It was something she found herself dwelling on more and more, where she might know him from. Enfri had almost convinced herself she must have treated him once in her cottage in Sandharbor years ago. A trader's guard, perhaps, or a passing peddler.

Don't suppose you remember spotting him while you were watching over me, Papa?

Can't say as I do. Looks like a city man to me. Pale, not good and tanned like our neighbors. Tell me, Sunny, have you ever had strange dreams?

Enfri narrowed her eyes. Dreams? Strange how?

Ever think you're Deebee while you're dreaming?

Enfri nearly gasped. You know, I think you're right. I saw Varn before I ever met him. Winds, Ban too!

Yora chuckled. Happened to me a time or two. Dragon dreams can get weird when they leak through the bond. Visions of what's happening in far off places. Deebee knows how to make sense of it all, but I never could. Must be something you need to get used to over a century or so. Anyways, what I'm trying to say is that maybe you saw this Kai fellow in a 'dream of what is'. He was bringing a bunch of our people straight to you, so it's possible.