FIRST INTERLUDE

I wish I could have known you, he said to her, and it wasn't the first time he'd said it. Elise might even have believed him.

    She didn't respond to the ghost in her head, the spirit of a boy she'd never known but should have been family. The Althandi took that chance from her, as they took everything that belonged to her. They stole her baby brother, then they killed him.

    Elise, you're all she has left of our family. She's all you have left. Go to her. Make peace. Neither of you will come out ahead the way this is going.

    Her lips curled into a sneer. That, Brother, is where you're wrong.

    Elise shoved the double doors open and strode out onto the balcony overlooking the warm seaside. Her new estate was only a temporary base of operations. She'd grown used to never staying in the same place for long. Eight years spent as Cathis' murderous tool hadn't been conducive to putting down roots. As if the Highest King would've allowed her to.

    The mansion was at the eastern end of Oceania, the district now all but abandoned. Between the pillaging hordes of the Teulites and the aerial assault by her loyal knights, the Gaulatian forces had been driven from their fortifications. The goodfolk and nobility alike desperately fled to the docks to evacuate by sea. The Cliffside City of Oceania was hers, such as it was. She was willing to share the spoils with the plundering Teulites for now, more an understood fact than any actual agreement. She didn't ruin their fun, and they kept their distance.

    Oceania was a port within the Gulf of Teularon, a small one when compared to the Gaulatian capital of Parnaia. It was built along the seaward side of the peaks that butted against the coastline. The city was isolated unless by ship, though a few mountain passes had given the Horde passage. A small alliance of tiger lords took the impossibility of assaulting Oceania overland as a challenge. The defenders would likely have turned them back had the Horde not had aerial assistance show up, unexpected for both sides.

    Elise breathed deep of the air. The scents coming off the Gulf of Teularon were made all the better by the cloud of ash and death. The cries of battle that continued even after the city had fallen. The screams of the dying. It was glorious. Her knights had done their work well.

    Gaulatia and Teularon both knew her power now. They feared the shadow of a dragon. They cowered as flames washed over them. Above all, they knew the Dragon Empress' name to be Elise Alinwe First Summit.

    Elise, and no one else.

    The sea air felt refreshing on her skin. Sweat clung to her body, and she'd needed to cool off. Once she had a moment to recover her breath, she'd go back into her bedchamber and find something to put on. An empress' body was a work of art to be put on display, but some of it should be held back for just herself. And those she chose to indulge herself upon, of course.

    A pair of strong arms wrapped around her from behind. His rough hands caressed her thighs, tracing up past her stomach and to her breasts. Her pet for the day kissed her neck, all but begging for a second go at her. Elise was inclined to allow it. Young Bashus was a vigorous and enthusiastic lover, as expected of a Garnet Knight, and there wasn't so much to do today to stop her from enjoying a distraction.

    She turned her head to kiss Bashus and guided his hands to where she wanted them. Before their rendezvous could continue into the second round, Elise was forced to stop as ether came into her blood through the bond. A signal of sorts from her dragon. Irritating, to be interrupted as she took her pleasures, but she'd come to learn that Adar never contacted her without need.   

    That, in and of itself, was also irritating.

    Elise turned and put a hand to Bashus' bare chest, firmly pushing him back a step. "We are done today, pet."