Chapter 8: Unplanned

Start from the beginning

"I asked if she needed a ride home, not for her hand in marriage" I sarcastically say and breath in another hit. I watch as he nervously shoves his hands in his pockets. He shoots me another scowl before returning to his car. I smirk a bit and return to my walk. 

-

I decide to take a detour and turn down a street I don't usually take. Why not? I used to take this road a lot when I dated Gemma for a brief time. It was just after Brighton and I broke up and I felt like I needed a rebound or something to show Brighton I didn't really care, even though I did. Dating one of the most popular seniors was a good start. But it obviously didn't work out. 

The street is filled with houses that look like they are homes to perfect families. You know, the ones that belong to men with a stable income, his trophy wife, beautiful smart kids and a golden retriever named Skip. I roll my eyes at the thought. 

I notice there's barely anyone out. A couple men cutting their grass and one woman tending to her garden. There's a white house a few houses in front of me that's surrounded by a white picket fence. I watch as a girl walks out of the front door. Her head is buried in her phone as she turns to walk on the sidewalk, right towards me. It's Cora. 

She's still looking down at her phone and doesn't notice me two houses down from her. Without really thinking about it, I pick up speed and almost jog towards her. "Cora, hey!" I say when i'm finally at a close enough distance. She looks up at her phone and is surprised to see me. 

Now that I think about it, it's probably weird that I just happened to walk down her street at the same time she is leaving her house. Shit, I probably seem like a stalker.

"Hey, what are you doing here? Do you live around here?" She asks me with a confused look on her face. "Oh, no, I was just on my way to-" I realize I wasn't actually on my way to anywhere. "- the um, park" I try to make my lie sound a bit more convincing. "What about you?" I ask, hoping to take her mind off my not-so-convincing lie.

"I was just on my way to Kenna's. She actually lives next door" she nudges her head in the direction of the house we are standing in front of. It's a bit awkward for a couple seconds and neither one of us can think of what to say. Again, without thinking I blurt out a question. "Do you wanna join me?"

I study her face hoping I can read her expression. I don't even know why I asked her. Not even 10 minutes ago her brother was warning me to stay away from her and here I am asking her to join me on a walk to, apparently, the park. I couldn't help feel a little bit rebellious given Cole's warning and all. I like the idea of him squirming in his boots at the thought of me and his little sister.

"Sure" her answer catches me off guard and I probably look surprised. I didn't think she would actually say yes. I just smile and motion for her to follow. 

Cora's POV

------------------------------

I pull out my phone and send a quick text to Kenna to tell her my change of plans. 

Hey, I'm actually not coming over, something came up. I'll tell you later - Cora

I don't bother waiting for her to respond and slip my phone in the back pocket of my jean shorts. I wish I had spent a bit longer on my appearance today, but I thought I was going to be spending the day with Kenna, not Zayn.

Zayn looks really hot today. His hair isn't styled in his usual quiff, frozen in place with hairspray.  It looks a bit messier, like he just woke up and forgot to do it. I like it.