-31-

-31-

Devika’s POV

I walked out of the bathroom in white shorts and orange cotton shirt. I removed my hair from the towel and let it dry naturally.

I took the SIM card and inserted it in my phone and switched it on. It adapted to the new SIM automatically and I dialled my mother.

She answered the phone in a confused tone:

Mum: “Hello?”

Me: “Maa, It’s me....Devika”

Mum: “Achha beta, tu kab pohunchi wahan? Sab kuch theek hai na? Koi takleef toh nahi? (Okay. When did you reach there? Is everything ok? You’re not uncomfortable, are you?)”

Me: “Main bas thodi der pehle hi pohunch gayi. Sab kuch theek hai aur main bhi. (I just reached. Everything’s fine and so am I). Don’t worry maa... Papa ko bhi bata deejiyega ki main theek hoon. Woh office se pohunch gayi? (Inform dad that I’m fine. Has he reached from the office?)”

Mum: “I’ll tell him. He’s gone on a business trip to Florida, so it’s just me here...And don’t worry, I’ll inform him without forgetting!”

Me: “I know you will.” And sighed, “Oh my god, I TOTALLY forgot to tell you!”

Mum: “What happened? Are you alright?” She asked shocked.

Me: “Everything’s fine, mum; actually, it’s more than fine. Aap naani banne waali ho (You’re going to become a grandma)”

Mum was silent on the phone for a few minutes and she had to check if she still had the connection:

Me: “Hello?”

Mum: “That’s great news, beta! I know very well that you’ll be able to raise the baby on your own! I know I’ve given birth to a very brave, strong and confident young lady.” She said in a soft voice and I heard her sniff. She was crying.

Me: “Maa, aap ro rahe ho? (Maa, are you crying?)”

Mum: “How can I not cry? I’m going to be a nana! These are tears of happiness, Devika. I’m so proud of you”

Me: “Thanks mum. I was wondering if you could help me through this. Can you come stay here with me till I’ve given birth? It would be grateful...”

Mum: “Of course, beta. I’ll book tickets for next week. How does that sound?”

Me: “Amazing! Thank you so much, maa!”

Mum: “I love your beta! Take rest, you’ve had a long flight. And most importantly, take care of yourself! You might feel some weird cravings, bend to them. It’s normal during pregnancies”

Me: “Okay, maa... bye! I’ll Skype you later”

I hung up and kept the phone near my heart and whispered, closing my eyes, picturing my mum in my mind, “Thanks mum for understanding...I love you forever!”

I wiped the tears and sighed.

I realised that I would only be able to work only after the baby was 2 years old, or he/she wouldn’t get enough attention. I wouldn’t want my baby not getting attention from me!

I logged in on twitter and tweeted:

‘@DeVZMalik: New place....New start...New life! #Hope x’

I instantly got thousands of retweets and favourites! My page blew up with ‘Follow me’ replies. I followed a few people and logged out.

I looked for the nearest hospital to book an appointment at the gynaecologist online. I found that the nearest was Lenox Hill Hospital.

I went to their website and booked an appointment for Dr. Stewart.

I checked the time and it was 5PM.

My fridge was practically empty, so it was veggie shopping time!

I changed my white shorts for white pants and put on a light jacket. I took my purse and took out my phone and typed on Google: ‘Nearest supermarket’

They showed directions to a supermarket named Gracie’s. I took my keys and locked the house. It was at walking distance, so I wore my flat sandals.

I started walking to ‘Gracie’s’ and saw many houses identical to my own. All of the houses had this look of warmth. There were blonde and brown haired children playing outside in their bicycles and swings. I smiled at the sight and thought that one day in the near future, I would have a kid of my own; my very little angel...My bundle of joy.

I didn’t realise I’d reached the store until I bumped into someone. I looked and saw that it was an old man...An angry old man to be precise.

“Watch where you’re walking lady!” He muttered annoyingly.

My eyes widened at his rude behaviour and I muttered a quick ‘sorry’ before entering the store in a rush.

I picked up some cucumber and mayonnaise first. Don’t ask!

I loaded my cart with tomatoes, onions, ice cream, chocolate, toothpaste, soap, shampoo, conditioner and tonnes of other stuff.

I slowly walked towards the billing counter when I walked past the magazines stand.

There was this magazine where, apparently, Zerrie was on the cover. I just looked at the headline and it read:

‘Zayn Malik and Perrie Edwards to attend movie premiere together at LA’

I kept it back where it belonged and pushed my cart to the counter, putting my best charade to say that it’s not bothering me,

While on the inside, it ate me up alive.

I took breaths to calm myself down- stress is not good for my baby!

Next week:

I called Chris, the taxi man, and asked him to take me to the airport to pick up my mum. He came exactly on time and we left. I waited patiently for her until I saw her pushing two huge suitcases

I ran to her and hugged her. “Mum!” I shouted, earning looks from the passing people.

She hugged me tightly and I said, “I missed you sooo much!”

“That’s why I’m here, beta! I missed you too...Are you taking care of yourself and my grandchild?” She asked with mock seriousness in her voice.

I smiled and said, “Yes, mum. Now let’s go. I’ll show you our home!”

I helped her carry her luggage to the car and I introduced Chris to my mum.

“What the hell did you carry to fill two whole suitcases?!” I asked, shocked obviously.

“Woh tumhaari bachpan ki kuch yaadein hai. Maine socha ki woh teri bachhe ki bhi kaam aye... (That’s some memories from your childhood. I thought they’d be of use to your baby)”

I smiled at her sadly and wrapped her in a hug, “Thank you so much, maa! I dunno what I’d do without you! I seriously love you to bits!”

She just smiled.

Zayn’s POV

Ugh! I’ve got this massive headache. Me and the lads are in a hotel now and Perrie’s staying in another room.

I’m standing near my bead and muttering profanities to myself.

“Stupid headache....I’ve been getting them ever since that stupid accident!” and a string of very colourful words.

“What accident?” asked a curious Irish accent behind me.

My eyes widened and I turned around.

Shit!

A/N: I have a math test tomorrow and if I don't get good marks, I'm screwed! Soooo, I've updated as much as I can, and I'm trying to inject the twist in the plot through the last part!

Hoping y'all r well,

~Stypayhorlikson xx :* Big luv 2 ol!