-23-

-23-

Devika’s POV

All the set up was done. A small spy camera was fitted in a flower vase near Zayn’s bed. It was connected to a small TV in the next room. I had an earpiece fitted to my ear and all we had to wait for was the culprit.

We had explained the plan to Zayn and he agreed everything. His voice still wasn’t strong enough. He could talk but his voice was so hoarse and feeble that it would stress him out. I gave him a lingering kiss on his forehead and said, “Lay still when he’s here, okay?” and he nodded.

One of the officers gave me a nod and I took out my phone and dialled Ranbir’s number.

The phone rang and I prepared for my act. I took a deep sigh and gulped when the phone answered. It was Ranbir. It wasn’t the first time we were talking on phone, but it was the first time I saw him from a different point of view.

“Hey, Devika! What’s up?” He asked enthusiastically. I looked up and sent a quick prayer and looked at the officers encouraging me to start.

“R-Ranbir? D-did you hear about Zayn?” I sniffed and asked.

“Nahi toh? Kya hua use? (No? What happened to him?)” He asked in fake concern.

I wanted to rip him apart limb by limb now!

“A-accident! Mujhe kuch samajh mein nahi aa rahi hai Ranbir! Please help me! (I can’t understand anything. Please help me!)” I sobbed through the phone. Zayn looked at me wide eyed at my performance. I had to disguise my laugh in a hiccough.

“Arre! Sambhalo apne aap ko yaar (Control yourself, yaar!)” He said.

“Zayn uth bhi nahi raha hai!  (Zayn’s not even waking up) Please, yahan aao na tum! (Please come here). I feel so alone.” I started making crying noises and he seemed to buy it.

“Ro math...Main 5 minute main aa raha hoon... (Don’t cry. I’ll be there in 5!)” He said and hung up. I hung up too and nodded to the officers.

“Okay! Now we’ll be in the other room. Here’s your glycerine for the tears. Mr. Malik, lay still. And ma’am, you know what to do, after a few minutes of the crying, you must go out saying you have to visit the pharmacy. And let’s hope for the best!” Said an officer and I smiled at him.

There was a short silence before he said, “One of the boys can stay hidden in the room, just so he doesn’t try anything!” I looked at Louis, Niall, Liam and Harry. I saw hope in each of their eyes and I wished I could pick all four of them, but it would be difficult to hide five grown boys, so,

“Harry?” I asked. “Can you stay?”  He smiled and nodded.

The police and the boys scurried out of the room and went to the next room. They said, “Ma’am, can you hear us?”  A person asked and I said, “Yes, Officer!”

“Let’s roll...”I heard from the other side. I put a few drops of glycerine on my finger and gently ran it over my waterline. My eyes burned and I blinked a few times. I gasped at the sensation. This was my first time with glycerine.

I heard “He’s here! Get ready” on my ear piece and I started sniffing. I actually felt like crying with the burning in my eyes.

I heard a knock on the door and I gasped, “Come in” and Ranbir walked in, looking innocent as possible. But, I knew what lay within this mask.

I rushed towards him and hugged him tight. He hugged me back and held me close and murmured against my hair, “Shh...Sab kuch theek hoga...Himmat math harna... (Everything will be alright. Don’t lose confidence!)”