-20-

Just a small filler chapter!

-20-

Zayn’s POV

We were on our way back to our hotel. From there, management gave us three weeks off, so that I could take care of Devika while she gets better. The boys were silent in the car, not speaking much, except for occasional beeps from Louis’s phone. He looked up at Devika and said, “El asks how you are...” Devika, who was looking out the window, lost in some other world, suddenly straightened herself and said, “Tell her I’m doing good...” with a faint smile, “How is she?” and there were few small talks. No one was in their usual funny self.

Devika kept zoning out. She had that far away look in her eyes- kinda like dazed. I held her close in my arms, but her gaze never shifted from the window. I sighed.

We reached the hotel entrance and there was a swarm of paparazzi outside yelling questions and shoving cameras in our faces. Paul managed to get us safe inside, but Devika was still unaware of her surroundings.

“Tum theek hai na? (Are you ok?)” I asked, she suddenly jumped and looked at me wide eyed. “Haan... (Yes)” She murmured and we took our room cards from the reception and entered the lift to our floor. All murmured ‘goodbye’s and went to our respective rooms.

I locked our room and saw Devika sitting on the bed, facing the balcony still lost. I went behind her and kissed her cheeks, but she didn’t seem to notice.

“How stupid am I?” She whispered, her voice shaking. I think she needs to let this steam out-she had to cry. Bottling up her emotions would only do worse, so I said, “You are not...Mistakes happen...”

“But...do these mistakes kill our babies..?” She breathed out...”No! They don’t!” She said a bit more strongly.

I got down from the bed and kneeled in front of her on the floor and cupped her face. Her eyes were red, trying to block tears from falling. Her whole face was red, actually. “Now, look my little tomato...Let it out...It’ll help, I promise...”I whispered.

Just then, a lone tear escaped her eye and she let out a huge breath. Then, she hugged me close and tight and started crying violently. I hugged her back with equal magnitude and let a few tears escape myself for the loss of our unborn baby. After a few minutes, she looked up from my chest and started taking deep breaths.

Her face was pale and loose hair stuck to her face because of salty tears. I stood her up and said, “Come with me...” We went to the bathroom and I turned on the shower. The water was cold at first, but then after a few turns of the knob, lukewarm water cascaded on both of us. We were soaked in our clothes. I removed Devika’s brown hair from her messy bun and let it soak, making it wet and make it almost black.

I tugged a few strands of hair on her face behind her ear. We didn’t say a word, just stood under the water. I removed her pink jacket and threw it away, slowly, checking if she was okay with it. She didn’t respond, so, I peeled away the rest of her clothes- a simple white summer dress, and put them on the tiled floor. I peeled off my shirt and we stood there for a few seconds. Something suddenly came over me and I pulled Devika’s small broken frame in my arms, tight. Her arms wrapped themselves around my back and we hugged each other as if our lives depended on it. I think the warm water was over and water started to run cold. After a few minutes, we were shivering in each other’s arms violently. I removed one hand from Devika and turned off the shower. I carried her into our room bridal style and sat her on the bed. The light blue bed sheet turned dark where droplets of water fell from our bodies.

I took a towel and began to wipe her body dry and did the same with mine. I changed into khaki shorts and a white tank top and took a dry pair of undergarments and one of my oversize t shirts for her.

I kneeled in front of her again and asked, “You feeling better, now?” and she looked into my eyes and nodded faintly. I helped her into her clothes and turned to the shower to get rid of our old ones. But, Devika’s small hand held mine and she told me, “Thanks Zayn, for everything...I dunno what I’d do without you” and gave me a small smile. I didn’t say anything, but just smiled back.

The clothes can wait...

We got down on the bed and she cuddled close to me. I started singing “Strong” softly into her ears. Her eyes fluttered close as I reached the last few lines of the song:

....’Cause when I’m not with you, I’m weaker,
Is that so wrong,
Is it so wrong?
That you make me strong...”

Devika, you make me strong....You can’t break down...