Chapter Sixteen: Trouble and Loss

Logan woke up slowly, groaning at the incessant beeping of his alarm clock. A hand shot out over his shoulder, aggressively hitting the snooze, then warm arms surrounded him, soft lips pressing against his neck.

"Mmmm....morning, Lo." Patton mumbled, still half asleep. Logan sighed, curling up into the warmth of his arms. They hadn't slept much last night, and memories of gentle touches, whispered endearments, and hands desperately clinging to one another brought a soft flush to his cheeks.

"Good morning, Patton. I'm so tired, and I know you are too, but we really need to get to work." Patton whined in protest, his arms tightening their hold. Logan laughed, turning in his embrace.

"Patton. We have to get up."

"Mmmm....counter-proposal: we stay here and sleep in another hour or two, take a shower together, than go to work like responsible adults."

"Pat..." Logan wavered. He knew he was the boss. Technically he could do whatever he wanted. There were other employees opening today, and nobody would really miss either of them for the first few hours. Patton's lips gently traced down his neck, and Logan made a strangled sound in his throat.

"Or, I'm sure we can come up with another use for our time? What do you say? Gonna play hookie with me today, boss?"

"You are a terrible influence."

"So I've been told." Logan swallowed his laugh in a fierce kiss.

Virgil glanced at the clock for the fifth time in the last hour. Roman chuckled and gently took one of his hands, which were twisting nervously together.

"What's the matter, darling?"

"Logan is late. He's never late...ever. I'm just worried is all." Just as Roman was drawing breath to reassure him, the man in question walked in the door. He was smiling from ear to ear, and had a definite bounce in his step. Virgil arched a brow, exchanging a look with Roman.

"Logan Williams? Late for work? I never thought I'd live to see the day!"

"Miracles DO happen!" Roman cried dramatically, clutching his chest.

"I slept in a little today. It does happen from time to time. Now, if the drama squad is quite finished?" Logan arched a brow, but a smile played around his lips.

"Huh. That explains the bulletin I heard on the news about Hell freezing over." Virgil snorted, but started working on Logan's usual coffee order. Logan couldn't help humming a tune under his breath, something Patton had been singing earlier that morning before they'd parted ways. Virgil glanced at him in surprise, then carefully looked him up and down. A shit eating grin spread across his face.

"Looks like somebody's dry spell just ended!" Logan chuckled, not denying it, but not looking to share all the details either.

"I don't know what you're-"

"Oh no, you're not getting away without talking about it!" Roman shot his boyfriend a pained look.

"Darling, please. That's my brother and Logan we're talking about. I don't want to hear about-"

"Okay, fine, fine, but there's one thing, just one, that we have literally always shared without fail. I don't care if it's awkward, I need to know." Virgil held Logan's gaze, and Logan flushed bright red. Roman looked back and forth between the two of them.

"What? What are you talking about?" Virgil smirked, and Logan looked down and mumbled something.

"I'm sorry, Lo, what was that?" Virgil cupped a hand to his ear, his smirk only deepening. Roman was utterly lost, but Logan was blushing, so it had to be good.