Chapter Six: Landscaping Emergencies

Patton was cheerfully tending to a customer when his sister burst in the door, wild-eyed. He was immediately concerned, rushing from behind the counter.

"Val, are you okay?! Is it Thomas? What's wrong?"

"Thomas is fine, I think. Nobody at the school has told me otherwise, but I'm going to die if I don't talk to Logan RIGHT NOW!" As she spoke, Logan walked in from the back carrying a flat of pansies for the front window.

"LOGAN!!! I have never needed anyone in my life as much as I need you right now. I need your help, it's an emergency!" Logan stared at her, eyes wide, and carefully set down the flat he was carrying on the counter.

"How can I assist you, Valerie?"

"You know I'm engaged, right?" Logan nodded slowly glancing nervously at Patton, who shrugged his shoulders. He had no idea what was going on either.

"Yes, to....Michael, was it?"

"Yes! Well, his mother called today and she started making these catty comments about the house and the garden and how I don't keep it up, and I just kind of snapped and told her all this stuff about how I'd slaved away and landscaped and put in window boxes...."

"You lied?"

"YES, I lied!!! She makes me crazy, oh my god...she's going to be my mother in law one day. If I didn't really love Michael, it would NOT be worth it."

"I'm not seeing what this has to do with me...?"

"She's going to be here in two days, and she'll see that I lied. Logan, I need you to fix up my yard in the next two days." Logan stared at her, utterly gobsmacked.

"You want me to pull my crew, who are working on another project right now, to come take care of your yard...because you lied to your future mother in law?! And you're only giving me two days?!" Patton laughed now, thoroughly amused. Only Val would pull something like this.

"Come on, Lo! I know you can do it! You're the best at this. I'll pay whatever it costs! Just...please?!" Valerie begged, and Logan closed his eyes and mentally counted to ten. He pictured her yard. It was kept well enough, but hadn't nearly reached it's potential. He could picture it now, a nice four-season perennial garden, flower boxes on the two front windows, and along the back fence...dammit. Oh, dammit.

"Patton, it would appear I need you to manage the shop today, because I need to go rescue your sister from a mess of her own making." Val squealed and threw her arms around him in an enthusiastic hug.

"Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!!! I knew I could count on you!!!"

"You won't be thanking me when you see my bill, Valerie. I can't pull Daniel, he needs to stay on the job he has, but I can pull a few of the guys and I'll work on it myself." Logan set his jaw, a determined look in his eye before turning and striding back towards the greenhouses, pulling out his phone and texting as he eyed different plants. He had a vision in his mind, and he cut a swath through his own stock to build on it, grabbing a cart and filling it. Plants, shrubs, ornamental trees, pots and planters.

"You didn't have to do this for her, Logan. She's a big girl, she could have dealt with it." Patton jogged after him.

"Agreed, but it's been a long time since I got my hands dirty, and I do so love a challenge." Logan was already there in his mind, could clearly see how it would turn out in the end, but he paused for a moment to give Patton his attention.

"You'll be alright, won't you? I hate to leave you on your own so soon." Patton's heart melt a little. The man was about to spend two days doing an impossible landscaping job for his little sister, and Logan was worried about leaving HIM alone?! There was definitely a growing part of him that wanted to sweep Logan up in a fierce hug and never let him go.