Chapter One: Introductions

Patton didn't exactly know what he expected when he walked into the florist shop, but this definitely wasn't it. The man who was presently looking at him with an impassive expression was...hot. Like, really hot. He was tall and slim, with hazel eyes peering curiously at him from behind black glasses and hair that had that effortlessly mussed look that either took five minutes or an hour. Well, if he didn't get the job, he was definitely getting his number. Patton blinked twice before mentally slapping himself. He was here for a job, not a date!

"Yes, I am hiring. I need someone to assist with customer service, handle the cash register and take phone orders. If the correct candidate proved capable, I might consider allowing them to assist me with arrangements, propagation and landscape design. I presently have a six-man crew to assist with the landscaping arm of my business, but I am handling the shop and greenhouse alone. Do you have any experience?"

Patton had been nodding along, feeling progressively more excited as Mr. Sexy Tie had been talking. Now he jolted a little, catching the other man's eyes again.

"Yes. I worked for my cousin's landscaping business most summers growing up. I've had several years of customer service experience, and I practically ran his business for him."

"Oh? Was he from around here?"

"Jake Sanders? Petal to the Metal?"

Oh, crap on a cracker, that slow smirk should be illegal in at least ten states! The way his eyes crinkled at the corners and how he tilted his head back, giving Patton a long look of consideration. Yup, definitely illegal.

"I knew Jake. He was a good guy, did good work. Until I put him out of business, of course."

"Yeah, he was great with plants, bad with money. He's doing much better these days as a contractor up in New York, so you probably did him a favor." Patton shot him a mischievous smile, and the low chuckle he got in return was simply delightful.

"Fair enough. Well, since you're seeking employment, I suppose you've recently moved back, Mr...?"

"Sanders! Patton Sanders. Yes, I just moved back last week with my son, Thomas. And you are?"

"Logan Williams. Pleasure to meet you." His handshake was warm and firm, and Patton was really enjoying that tiny smile. He'd have to make a point to see it more often.

"Sanders. Ah, you must be Roman's brother! He has...mentioned you." There was something almost teasing his Logan's voice, and as Patton mentally ran through a long list of all the embarrassing stories Roman could possibly have told this man, he silently wished to delete the universe and himself.

"Oh god. Please disregard anything he ever told you!"

"But then why would I hire you?" Patton blinked at that, not entirely certain he'd heard that correctly.

"Wait, are you saying-?"

"Be here at 7am tomorrow. If you can make it through the first two weeks without majorly screwing up, I'll keep you on. You've got a job, Patton."

"Thank you, Logan! You won't regret it! I'll see you tomorrow, bright and early." Patton couldn't have wiped the smile off his face if you paid him money.

"I'm sure I won't. I do have to get back to work now, though. Enjoy the rest of your day." With a quick nod, Logan turned on his heel and walked back towards the counter. And if Patton maybe took a quick peek at his new employer's (truly fantastic) backside before he turned and walked out, well, he was only human, right?

"Hey there, Pocket Protector. What are you doing brooding here? Aren't you usually busy playing Full Metal Botanist or something about now?" Virgil grinned as he slid into the seat opposite his nerdy friend. As two transplants from other cities, they had somehow forged a friendship that was the closest Virgil had ever had. He considered Logan a brother, and it didn't take a genius to see that something was eating at him. After all, Logan didn't usually spend his evenings at The Darkest Roast unless he needed to get away from something.