Chapter Nine: Best Laid Plans

Patton paced restlessly in his room. Logan would be here any moment, and he knew there was no reason to be nervous. He'd literally just seen the man today, and it wasn't like this was the first date he'd gone on since Liz, but he couldn't stop his unruly heart from racing at the thought of finally going out with Logan.

"Dad...? Hey, Dad? Why are you all dressed up?" Thomas stood in is doorway, a small frown on his face. Parker bounded into the room, tail wagging, and Patton ordered him back out with a point of his finger. The pup happily trotted over to plop next to Thomas in the doorway, tongue lolling out.

"I'm going out tonight, kiddo. I'll be back in a few hours, I promise."

"Oh...I thought we'd be hanging out tonight..." Patton's heart twisted in his chest.

"Do you need me to be home? I can always reschedule, if you need me." Thomas thought about that for a second, then pasted a sunny smile on his face. Dad didn't go out often, and he wanted him to have fun. Besides, he had Parker and Aunt Val! He'd be okay. He'd be fine!

"...No. It's okay, Dad. I'll be okay."

"Are you sure?" Patton pressed, wanting to be certain. He couldn't leave if Thomas wasn't okay, he just couldn't. Thomas ran up to him, throwing his arms around his waist in an enthusiastic show of reassurance.

"Yeah, Dad! I'll be good. We'll spend time together tomorrow, though, right?" Patton hugged him back, pressing a small kiss to his hair

"You bet! Tomorrow's my day off, and we're going to spend all day together doing whatever you like. I promise."

"Can we watch Disney movies?"

"As many as you want."

"WOOHOO!!!" Thomas raced out of the room, thrilled beyond measure, with the dog following close behind. Well, that's one crisis hopefully averted. He heard the doorbell, the faint murmur of Val's voice followed by the lower tones of Logan's. He heard Thomas go flying down the stairs, and he smiled as he slowly followed. The "oof" of Logan receiving one of Thomas's very enthusiastic hugs made him smile.

"DOCTOR PLANT!!! Are you going to build another arbor?! Or plant more flowers? I missed you!" Thomas cried happily. Logan chuckled, bending down to properly return the hug. Patton barked a greeting, and Logan reached down to scratch his ears with a smile.

"Hello again, Thomas! I missed you as well. No, I'm afraid we've built enough arbors and planted enough flowers for Valerie. How did that work out, by the way? You never said." He glanced at Val, who beamed at him.

"Oh, like a dream! Even she couldn't find anything to nitpick about...although I did have to spill some iced tea on my blouse when she asked me about those flowers in the back because I couldn't remember the name of them."

"African violets?"

"That's them!"

"Honestly, Valerie...oh! Hello, Patton." Logan smiled at him, and Patton couldn't help the quick once over. Good grief, the man was gorgeous! He was wearing what absolutely had to be a custom-tailored suit, navy blue with a crisp white shirt underneath. No tie, the top button was undone, revealing the hollow of his throat.

"Hey, Logan. Alright, Thomas, you be good for Aunt Val, okay? Say goodbye to Doctor Plant."

"Awww, but he just got here!"

"I'm terribly sorry, Thomas. Perhaps you and your Dad can come visit my house someday. I have a lot of gardening work that needs doing around there, and I could always use some help. A skilled unpaid worker like yourself could prove invaluable." Logan grinned at him, and Thomas immediately looked to Patton with a pleading expression.