Chapter Two: Misunderstandings

Roman grinned and looked down at his temporary furry companion after checking his text messages. Parker, his brother's odd mutt of a dog, looked adoringly up at him while his tail wagged happily.

"Well, Parker, it looks like we're invited to ice cream with the family! We'd better get you back to your boys before they miss you too much." Roman laughed as Parker barked, his tail going into high gear. The dog was a tawny color with one ear pricked up and the other flopped over. He was energetic, friendly, and often tripped over his own paws. Whenever Patton had to be out for the whole day, he asked Roman to take care of him. Since he technically owned the theater, and ran everything with an iron fist, Roman figured that gave him free reign to bring the dog with him to work whenever he felt like it. Besides, Parker was great with kids, and he really helped corral the children's theater group.

Whistling a little, he leashed Parker and started walking towards the ice cream shop. It was only a few blocks from the theater, and it was a gorgeous day. He rolled his shoulders as he walked, working out the remaining tension. The work was brutal, long hours, lots of personality conflicts which meant lots of putting out fires, and very little gratitude in return. But he loved it, down to his bones. There was nothing more important to him than this community theater and the productions he managed to put together.

As he walked the last block, he spotted Logan and Virgil walking in the same direction, slightly ahead of him.

"What are you two nerds doing outside in broad daylight? I'm surprised Hot Topic hasn't spontaneously combusted." The emo glared at him fiercely from underneath his bangs before slowly smirking up at him.

"Awww, you think I'm hot."

"Not exactly a secret, there, Verge. When are you finally going to let me take you on a date, by the way? Getting a little tired of asking."

"Getting real tired of refusing, Princey. How's the tenth of never sound?" Did that little shit just bat his eyelashes at him?!

"Please, children, can we not?" Logan's calm voice cut through their usual bickering, and Roman narrowed his eyes at Virgil, but held his tongue.

"Since when do you have a dog? What dumbass actually put you in charge of keeping a sentient being alive?" His grumpy barista leaned down and petted a very enthusiastic Parker, who jumped up to try and lick all of Virgil's face.

"He's Patton's dog, and excuse you! I take excellent care of Parker, I'll have you know!"

"Sure you do, Princey....Patton's your brother right? Seems Logan hired him this morning." There was something Roman couldn't quite place in the look he shot Logan, but the death glare Logan shot back was pretty clear.

"Indeed I did. I checked some former clients, asked for references, and it would seem he is eminently qualified. It would have been illogical to discount him on the basis of having a semi-personal connection."

"Whatever you say, Calculator Watch. Thanks for giving him a chance, though. He really needed a break after...well...everything."

"Did something happen? Don't leave us hanging, Sir Sing A Lot." Roman emphatically shook his head at Virgil's quip, his face uncharacteristically serious.

"It's not my story to tell. Ask him, if you want to know, but not in front of Thomas."

"Who's Thomas?"

"His son, my nephew."

"Oh..." Virgil lapsed into silence, now. He could almost hear the gears turning in both of their heads, so he plastered on a cheery smile and changed the subject.

"I'm just heading to meet Pat, Thomas and Val over at Gerrity's. Would you nerds like to join us, you know...since you're actually outside for once."