Chapter 22: The Big Day

Virgil's eyes scanned the jeweler's case with an increasing sense of frantic paranoia. The wedding was literally two days away, and Logan had physically dragged him from his house to finally find Roman's wedding ring. Perhaps the notion that he could find the perfect ring was one he should have deleted from his brain around jewelry store number three, but he really hadn't expected it to be this difficult to find a damn ring! And he hadn't MEANT to put it off this long, LOGAN, but nothing that he saw was really right.

"There are literally ten rings that Roman would wear right in this first row, Virgil. You're getting married in 48 hours, and you can't do that without a ring, or so I have been told." Logan arched a brow at Virgil, who shot him a frustrated glare.

"It can't be just ANY ring! I need a ring that's at least as good as the one currently sitting on my left hand!" Virgil held out the hand in question, the ring of red and black melding together in a perfect mix of himself and Roman. "Standard diamonds and gold just aren't going to cut it here."

Just as Virgil was about to write it off as yet another failure and melt into a small puddle of panic, Logan spotted a ring in the back of a small case. It was black with a twisting motif of purple, Virgil's favorite color. "What about that one?"

The ring that Roman had given him sat heavy on Virgil's finger, and he looked closer at that one ring. It was...him. It would be his favorite color on Roman's finger, for always. "Excuse me, can I see this one, please?"

"Of course, sir." The jeweler smiled as she opened the case and pulled the black and purple ring out for Virgil to inspect. As he turned it over in his hands, he thought about how it would look on Roman, about how this flash of dark and color would gleam against tanned skin.

"I'll take it." Virgil's soft smile melted into a put upon scowl as Logan heaved a great sigh of relief. "What?!? It had to be perfect!"

"I'm just relieved that perfection actually exists. What kind of best man would I be if I let you face your future husband without a wedding ring? You'd be dead before you were married." Logan grinned as Virgil playfully smacked him.

"Yeah, yeah, you saved the day. Now let me pay for this so I can finally check the one thing I'm responsible for in this wedding off my list." Virgil handed over his credit card with no regrets, taking the small bag from the jeweler with a grateful smile.

"That's not true, Virgil. You're also responsible for showing up." Logan followed him out of the shop, giving the amused jeweler a friendly wave goodbye.

"Nah, that's what you're responsible for." Virgil winked at him as he got into Logan's car.

"Oh, so I have to add "wrangle Virgil" to my list of matrimonial duties? Thought you were looking forward to this." Logan laughed as he started the car and drove them towards the cafe.

"Oh, I am. Probably not as much as Roman, if the sobbing over his wedding binder last night was anything to go by." Virgil shook his head fondly at the memory. "I don't know, I just don't see the point of all the fuss, you know? We love each other. We're in this for life, until we're old and wrinkly and gray. That's the headline here, everything else is just window dressing."

"Don't let Roman hear you say that! He's worked very hard on this wedding and it means a great deal to him." Logan shot Virgil a warning look, arching a brow as his best friend put both hands in the air like he was surrendering.

"I know, and that's the only reason it matters to me at all. You know me, I hate all the attention, but Roman wants this. He's been dreaming of this, and I want to give him that one perfect day, you know?" He looked out the window, face flushing at the admission.