Chapter Nine: Best Laid Plans

Start from the beginning

"Oh, please can we go, Dad?! Please?!" Patton laughed and ruffled his son's hair.

"Yeah, I think we can arrange that. Have a good night, kiddo! And remember, if you need me, all you have to do is call."

"Okay, Dad. Bye Doctor Plant!" Something flashed in his son's eyes, a quick expression that was foreign and familiar all at once. Patton couldn't quite place it, but he felt a niggling sense of doubt worm its way into the back of his mind. Thomas quickly beamed a smile, waving happily, but the unease didn't abate.

"Goodbye, Thomas. Valerie." Logan's hand on his back slowly eased him out the door, and Patton tried to let go of his worry and enjoy his first date in a very long time.

"Have fun you two!" Val waved as they headed out, and Patton almost stopped short at what was sitting in the driveway.

"...A Pinto, Logan, seriously? I didn't even know they MADE them anymore!"

"I don't believe they do, to be honest. But it was my mother's and I inherited it. It's still in good working order, so I see no reason to change." Logan seemed slightly embarrassed, and now Patton felt awful for saying anything.

"Hey, I didn't say I minded. It's vintage!" Patton grinned, sliding into the passenger seat. Logan started the car and started the car. Patton smiled, finding that watching Logan drive was infinitely more interesting than what was out the window.

"So, why did you go into botany? What sparked the interest in the first place?"

"My mother. I was always intelligent. I was a freshman in college by age 14, graduated with my PhD by the time I was 20. I could have done it faster, but I chose to take my time." Patton stared, his jaw slightly dropped.

"That's incredible, Logan!" The man in question glanced at him, offering a small smile and a head tilt of acknowledgement.

"If you say so. When I was a child, I had no interest in any of this, but my mother always did. I can remember her spending hours in the backyard, tending to her many flower beds. Everything she planted had meaning, every bed told a story. She was an artist with flowers in a way I can only aspire to be. She was thrilled when I chose botany as my major. I only wish she could have seen what Minny's Garden is today." Patton reached over and placed one hand on Logan's arm.

"She would be so proud of what you've done, of how hard you've worked, I'm sure of it."

"Thank you, Patton. I...that is good to hear." Patton went to take his hand back, but Logan reached out and took his hand, placing their linked fingers on the gear shift. His heart fluttered at the sweet gesture.

"What about you, Patton? You're the man with all the secrets." Logan grinned at him, and Patton laughed, enjoying this, and him.

"I don't know as I have many secrets, Lo. I'm sure you already guessed that I was married before?"

"Yes, I had assumed. I'm not the first person you've dated since...?"

"No, not the first, but I am...careful. There haven't been many." Patton answered quietly, gently rubbing his thumb over Logan's.

"I'm honored to be among the lucky few, then. How did she die, may I ask?"

"Commuter plane crash. She was on her way back from an art show. I had the TV on and there was a bulletin. They didn't say any names, but I knew it was Liz's plane. I knew before they came to tell me."

"You know what you were wearing when you heard the news, what you were doing, where you were standing." Logan's voice was quiet, wistful. "You know every detail about that day."