One

God, I hate him.

That was the first thought that came to mind when Jack Johnson saw the dimwit alpha attached to Summer's arm.

He was trying not to look like a creep, peeking over his desk and through the window of his office, staring at the couple as they stood chatting to his boss, Callum. Despite his best attempts, he knew he was desperately failing, simply unable to tear his eyes away from the area.

Just looking at her made him feel self-conscious.

It was the fact that she was so petite and vibrant and omegan, blonde tresses dusting the tops of her slim shoulders- the same shoulders that shook lightly as she laughed at something her father said. Legs that teased him, taunted him as they moved around in that skirt of hers- and why was it so damn short? She was bursting with beauty: the way that she smiled, gloss covered lips gleaming in the sunlight, the way that she moved, built like a ballerina, her small breasts, her dainty hips, her-

Gosh, his sanity was holding on by a thread.

"Grab that file out of the printer for me?" His office partner Eliot said, inciting Jack to groan in annoyance.

That would mean he'd have to be in the same room as her.

Exactly what he was trying to avoid.

"Problem, Jack?" Eliot asked, spinning around in his chair.

Jack turned to glare at the older man. Pushing thirty five, just like Jack, and Eliot was still the biggest bully he had ever met. It was safe to say he didn't like Eliot and Eliot didn't like him. It wasn't like Eliot was anything special. Really, the man was balding, beer bellied and stank of cheap deodorant. He was mated though.

He'd seen Eliot's mate exactly one time in the eight years he'd been working at the firm. She was a red-head, had a sweet disposition, and was tall, taller than Eliot's five nine. She looked at her mate like he was the hottest thing since sliced bread and the way she kissed him as she left had left the office feeling scandalised.

Eliot had walked around like a peacock all day after that, gloating as if to say that he had a hot omega waiting for him at home and Jack didn't.

"No problem." Jack said.

Not giving the other alpha the benefit of having something more to hold against him, he stood up from his desk and pushed his way out of the office.

Now that he was in the same room as Summer, all he could smell was her lusty omega pheromones. They pretty much saturated the whole room, which would have otherwise smelt like printer paper and off-brand air fresheners.

God, he wanted her.

Jack rubbed a hand through his short brown hair and down his face, suddenly very aware that he was a bit too pudgy to be considered fit, in the heavily muscled sense anyway, he was prematurely greying and he'd been told that he was slightly too tame for an alpha. He'd also recently had to up his glasses prescription and was feeling particularly annoyed about that fact.

He had been wearing glasses since the moment he had learned to read, despising every time the little numbers assigned to his eyes increased with every opticians visit. It was unusual for alphas to have such bad eyesight but he was the exception to the rule about alphas being physically superior to the other dynamics.

He had never been exactly like the others.

He didn't know what his parents were thinking, giving him a name like Jack Johnson, but it had set the tone for the rest of his life. He'd grown up as a sort of John Doe, in the background, often overlooked. When he had started his first rut before the other boys in his year, coming into school with the matured scent of someone who had popped their first knot, people could hardly believe it. Most assumed he would be one of those defective alphas who couldn't pop a knot if it hit them in the face.