Chapter 18

The drive was long, Xavier said he had another surprise for me and so he wouldn't tell me where we were going. The sun had disappeared beyond the horizon and the pink, red clouds were slowly dissolving into deep purples and blues.

Xavier was concentrating on the road and so I took the opportunity to take in his features. His eyes look deep in thought, his eyebrows slightly furrowed. His chiselled jawline and cheekbones defined by the evenings light.

I looked back to the road, he doesn't seem scary enough to be the same person that yelled at the guard when I was in the cell. There's so much to Xavier that I don't know, and I'm scared that I'm not the person he's been waiting his whole life for. I mean, if I were him and were presented with me as my mate, I know I would feel disappointed and deflated. I wonder if he really feels like that.

Unexpectedly I felt a warm tear slide down my cheek. I'm crying?
I quickly wipe it away and pretended it never fell. What is this mate bond playing at? I didn't even know this man last week and now I'm crying at the thought of him not wanting me?

I'm brought out of my thoughts when I felt the car jolt to a stop. I look out my window and see that it was now dark outside and there is no light other than the lights inside the car and the headlights that are beaming onto a patch of grass in front.

I look at Xavier and he looks back at me with a distinct frown on his face as he takes in my features.

"You've been crying?" He asks.

How can he tell? It's only dimly lit in here.

I wipe my hands under my eyes, rubbing away dried tears.

"I'm fine." I reply with a smile.

He keeps eye contact with me for another few seconds, before turning to his side and getting out the car.

Where is he going? I do the same and get out the passenger door.

"Where are we?" I asked and I see Xavier going into the boot of his car and taking out a rolled blanket and a woven basket.

"We are at a place I've only ever come alone" he replied.

He walked back to the drivers side and took the key out the ignition, turning off all lights in the process.

As the lights turn out, a glow of yellow emits from in front of us. I walk further towards the light and come to the edge of a tall cliff. The city lights dotted the ground, creating a galaxy of yellow against the black ground. The area was silent with a little breeze blowing my hair in front of my face. I stand in awe at the view.

This.. This is breath taking.

"Xavier.." I say, my eyes glued to the view and my breath drawn out from me.

"Do you like it?" His voice spoke up from behind me.

I let out a deep breath and the nights breeze flows through me.

"This is beautiful" I reply. There are no words to describe this other than absolutely beautiful.

I hear some shuffling from behind and turn to see Xavier laying on the blanket, with candle lights dotted around it. His eyes gleaming up at me.
I smile in surprise and I take a seat next to him, admiring everything presented before me.

"I once thought this was the most beautiful view I have seen. It was until I came across you when I felt the same way. That's what confirms to me that you are the one I've been waiting for, my mate" he spoke softly.

My heart flutters and my cheeks warm up. I smile in response and gaze over to him. He reaches up and tucks a strand of hair behind my ear. I look back down to the blanket I'm sitting on.
I could never imagine being in this situation right here right now and I'm enjoying every minute of it.

The nights breeze cools and causes me to shiver.

"Here" Xavier stated, wrapping another blanket over our shoulders. I shuffle closer to him and lean my head on his shoulder as he wraps his arm around my waist. I let the heat from his body warm through me.

I look up at him, connecting eye contact. He stares down at me, a smile tugging at his lips. My eyes flicker down to his lips and back up to his glistening eyes. He's gorgeous. He leans closer to me until our lips almost touch. This time I make the move and connect our lips.
Immediately he kisses back, slowly reaching his hand up and placing it on my cheek, deepening the kiss. Tingles trace over my lips and I could feel a fluttering in my stomach. I can feel his tongue graze over my lip, wanting more.

I reached up and placed my thumb on his bottom lip, running it over the soft surface and pulling away.

"Let's not take things too quickly" I say breathing out, looking into his eyes to see his reaction. A flicker of gold swirls in his irises as he gently stares back at me.

"I'm not-"

"It's okay, you don't need to explain, I understand" Xavier said with a smile.

I smile back and relax into his arms, looking back out at the city lights. I feel Xavier's thumb rub circles on my waist. Little tingles sparked on my skin and I rest my head on him.
This is perfect, I cannot believe this is actually happening to me. I've always wanted to know how it feels to have someone who actually cares for me. I'd forgotten what it felt like - to be loved, and Xavier is reminding me of how it feels.