Chapter 2

I sprinted out the door and ran straight into the forest surrounding the house. My feet run as fast as they can, I was skipping past trees and jumping over tree roots. The cold was whipping my face and the wind was brushing past my ears. I could hear the rustling of leaves and my eyes darted to the gapes in the trees to see if there were any pack members on watch. So far it's clear. I was picking up my pace, my heart was beating quickly. It felt good. The first time I've properly stretched my legs. The trees offered me protection. However a sickening feeling spreads through my body and my mind starts going fuzzy. The thudding on my heart makes me run faster. I have risked everything not to get caught now. If I stop, I will get found. I don't shift into my wolf, she's dormant now. I can only rely on myself.

But just when things couldn't get any worse, a piece of wood gets caught in my foot and I stumble to the floor. I wince in pain. I've been running for over an hour non stop, no slowing down. I have dodged a few pack members during my escape but they didn't see me. My dark clothing fades in with the darkness and acts like an invisible cloak. I sit and curl up to the trunk of a tree. I look at my ankle, there was a thick splinter and blood was oozing out. I clenched my eyes shut and pulled the splinter out. I took a deep breath and swallowed the pain. My eyes are heavy and my bones ache. "I don't know if I can stay on watch if you fall asleep Kate" I close me eyes and pull my knees to my chest. "It's ok, we will wake up early in the morning and carry on running" I tell Lyra. I sense her loosing herself to sleep, and soon I join her..

"Come on Kate! I hear someone coming!" I shot my eyes open, but suddenly squint from the harsh sunlight. I stand up and stretch my back. "What's happening?" I question Lyra. "The pack have noticed your absence, we must run!" Without a second thought I sprinted through the woods, I was watching carefully at the ground so that I could dodge the raised tree roots. I could hear howls far away in the distance, my pace quickened. I wasn't going to give up that easily.
However, I came to an abrupt halt when I see a small clearing in front of me. I'm guessing this is the end boundaries of Kayden's territory.
But what packs territory is this in front of me? Oh well, no time to think. I quickly ran across the clearing and swiftly disappeared into the forest ahead. "Well done Kate! They can't get us now!" A feeling of relief showered over me, and with this burst of energy I bolted through the trees. My surroundings went blurry from the pace I was running at.
Slowly I came to a walking pace, trying to go through everything that's just happened. Ok, so I have run away from the pack, from Kayden. I'm in someone else's territory. Wait, this means I'm a rouge. What do packs do to rouges? They kill them or torture them. No one bothers asking their reasons for being an outsider. 'They aren't in a pack so they must die'.