Chapter 17

We walk to the boat shed where Xavier pays and a man walks out and pulls two kayaks out for us to use.
They're both a light blue colour with white detailing on top.
We are handed a life jacket each and I put mine on over my baggy t-shirt.

Once we are equipped and ready, the kayaks are in the water, waiting for us to get in them. Nervously I sit down and place my feet into the boat. The instructor man held it steady as I get in. Once I sit down and calm my quick beating heart, I am given a two sided paddle.

Xavier gets into his kayak and starts paddling, going past me. Where do I even start? The man slowly pushes my boat out into the lake.
I freeze my actions, oh gosh what am I doing.

"Kate, use your paddle and slowly come here to me" Xavier called out.

Slowly but surely I use my paddle and make my way to Xavier. Okay I can do this. Just keep paddling.

"Weldone you're getting the hang of it!" Xavier said.
I smile nervously, paddling to the side of his kayak.

"Let's go further out, just follow me" Xavier suggested as he started paddling in front of me.

I quickly paddle behind him, focusing in the back of his boat. I can't be left behind.

My kayak started rocking as a larger boat had past, the waves making me really uneasy.

"X-Xavier" I called out.

I stop paddling and close my eyes shut. I can't do this. I'm going to fall into the water. The kayak still wobbles on the water. This is not fun. Im so going to drown.

I'm pulled out of my thoughts when I feel Xavier's large hand covered my own. His thumb slowly caressed my hand. I slowly open my eyes.

Xavier was beside me in his kayak as we floated together on the water. I looked around us and the water is like a mirror. It is very calm and still, reflecting the bright green trees and the purple and white flowers along the water edge.

Lily pads floated effortlessly on the water and white and pink flowers decorated the green leaves. Dragonflies fly around the low hanging trees and glide over the surface of the water. It is the most beautiful sight I have ever seen. The sun beamed down on us and it's warm touch kissed the clear water. All my nerves from before had run away from me.

I turn to look at Xavier who's looking back at me. The sun illuminates his face as he beams a smile at me.

"This is beautiful" I spoke softly to him.

He lets out a light laugh and I join him. It feels so good to laugh. I've missed this feeling.

Xavier stars into my eyes, a bright smile still plastered on his face.
He looks so perfect in this moment that not even a camera could capture this image.
'This is how life should be lived' Lyra spoke up.

I look out to the water and then back to Xavier who is still staring at me. I quickly flick my paddle into the water and the drops splash into his face. I laugh as Xavier's brought out of his daze and realisation hits him. He wipes the water off his face with his hands, and looks back at me with a devilish smile sneaking into his lips.

Oh gosh. That probably wasn't the wisest thing to do but hey, it's rude to stare!

He keeps his eyes trained on me, not wanting to find out what he's planning, I shove his kayak away from me and I quickly paddle as fast as I could away from him.
I couldn't help but let out another laugh.

The water wakes either side of my kayak and I continue to paddle. The lake narrows and when I take a quick glance behind me, Xavier is quickly catching up to me. The same devilish smile still plays on his face.