Chapter 3

Adam stared at himself in the mirror. His hands grasped the sides of the sink firmly as he struggled to return his breathing to a normal rhythm.

Oh God. I can't go back out there, I just can't. He's so perfect.

Adam finally calmed down and managed to think rationally.

You have to go back out there. You can't just leave him there he'll begin to know something's up.

Adam took one deep breath and decided to make his way back into the living room. He couldn't believe his eyes when he walked in.

Blake was sound asleep in the chair he was sitting in when Adam left in a hurry. He shook his head and decided to leave a note for Blake to explain his absence when Blake woke up. He found a pen on a table in the center of the room. A convenient notepad was placed next to it. He began writing:

Dear Shelton,

I lost count how many drinks you had after number four. I got up to take a leak, came back and you were out like a light. Decided to head home. See you tomorrow on set. You're going to have one wicked hangover.

-Adam

He smiled to himself as he folded the note and placed into Blake's hand. He grabbed his jacket and headed to the door.

"Goodnight Blake." He said to himself, closing the front door behind him.

                                                                                   *****

The next day

"Hey man, how you doing?" Usher inquired as he noticed Adam walking towards his big red chair.

"Pretty good, yourself?"

"Fine, fine just wondering why you left in such a hurry yesterday?"

Adam paused, unsure of how to answer. "Oh uh... I got a bit of a stomach ache, I went home and rested up for today's filming."

Usher didn't answer as numerous hair and makeup artists were surrounding him trying to make him look perfect for the show.

There was still no sign of Shakira and Adam knew for a fact that Blake was going to be late. A couple of stylists came over to his chair and began to apply concealer and an excessive amount of hair gel. As they were working on him he saw Shakira enter through the corner of his eye. He gave her a half wave, which she returned with a smile.

'Hello boys." She greeted.

"Hello Shakira, I'm still so deeply sorry for your loss, but at the same time I am not sorry because it just gives me a better chance at winning." Usher laughed.

Shakira rolled her eyes and gave him a playful slap on the arm. "Kristen was great, I'm not worried for her, I am positive that a successful talent agent is going to pick her up and get her signed."

"Whatever helps you sleep at night." Usher joked back.

Blake stumbled in just as the teasing was coming to an end. Adam adjusted himself in his chair.

"Well, well, well. Look who finally decided to show up." Adam said to the clearly hung-over man.

Blake made a very obscure gesture to Adam and made his way to his chair.

"Did you get my note?"

"Mmm-hmm" Blake responded, rubbing his head.

Adam laughed at Blake's misery. The poor guy having to come in on a hangover with blaring music and flashing lights. 

At least he was too drunk to notice my little panic attack.

Carson stepped in at that moment saving Adam from the memory. "Are you guys ready for tonight?" He asked the four coaches.

Adam and Usher fist pumped the air to show their excitement. Blake just gave a half smile.

"Woah, I could tell that someone's in a mood." Carson pointed out, acknowledging Blake.

"Can we please just try to keep the music down?" Blake asked.

Adam chuckled.

Hopefully today's events won't end like last night's.