16

Steve is shaking heavily, his eyes are widen as he looks around the black world surrounding him. Red dots seem to fall down. Screams from the distance can be heard. Fear from the deep darkest corners can be felt.

Hands coming from the darkness grabbing him. He curls up into a tiny ball. Holding a knife, protecting it instead of using it to defence.

"Steve.." a small weak voice talks to him.

Steve pushes his eyes shut. "I'm not your experiment." he mumbles anxious.

One of the hands let go. The other starts stroking him like someone who strokes a cat.

"You're my friend. Not an experiment.. Wake up buddy... it's me, James. No worry. You're safe." James says almost breatheless. The call with Mikey hurt him but also motivated him to try and be there for Steve. He knows the blonde boy needs him.

Steve goes quiet, he shakes heavily and hides his face in his curled up body.

James strokes him protective and caring. "What do you see Stevey?" James asks carefully.

"A black word and red rain..." Steve whispers. "It's cold, dark, scary and lonely."

James shuffles closer to him.

Steve seems alarmed and scared.

"No worry, it's just me." James says.

Steve calms down a bit.

"Are you the real James?" Steve asks.

"I'm the real one."

"How did you get here?" Steve asks anxious.

"I tried hard." James replies. "I should be there more for you." James says as he fishes the knife gently out of Steve's shaky hands. He puts it away and rests on of his hands on the shaky ones and tries to calm it down.

"James.." Steve whispers. "I miss prison.." he continues.

"Because you were less like this?" James asks.

Steve nods slightly.

"You'll be able to beat this Stevey." James says.

"I killed someone because of this..." Steve says quietly.

"We both killed.." James replies. "It doesn't mean it's been purpose." James sighs.

"They were accidents..." Steve whispers.

"exactly, stupid accidents." James replies.

Steve shuffles closer to James, wrapping himself around the dark haired man.

James has a small smile on his face, stroking Steve's hair like a cat. "You're really adorable sometimes" James says.

Steve looks up, blinks a few times and rests his head on James boney lap.

"Feeling better?" James asks as he starts to stroke behind Steve's ear instead of the blonde hair.

"Yeah, but can we stay like this?" Steve asks.

"you mean sitting and stroking?" James asks.

Steve nods.

"of course." James says smiling, sighing relaxed.