Chapter Thirteen: Taken

I stretched out my fingers to feel the spot beside me.  Hoping to touch Brian’s warm chest, my palms grazed over an empty spot that was now cold.  I opened my eyes slowly, realizing it was still dark.  I turned to my side, to see Brian had disappeared.  I sat up slowly on my hands, looking around the room.  I couldn’t see anything, because it was so dark.  All I could see was a tall figure, standing by the window looking down.  He stood still and silent.  His hands placed on the window sill, leaning down lightly.

                I drew the blanket from my body, and stood up quietly.  I walked closer, wrapping my arms around his waist from behind.  He jumped a little, and then placed a hand on my arm, swiftly moving his hand across.  “Why are you up?” he asked.  I kissed the bare skin of his back, and pressed my cheek to his warm skin.  “Because you weren’t there.”

He turned on my arms, now facing me.  I couldn’t see his wounds in the dark.  “I just got done talking to Jimmy.”

                “He’s home?”

He shook his head, “He took off for a few days.”

My mouth parted a little in surprise.  “Wow that was nice of him to let me know.”

He moved his hands up, and cupped my face.  “Just get back into bed.  We’ll talk more in the morning.  He placed his lips to my forehead, and backed me up towards the bed.  When the back of my knees hit the bed, I collapsed to sit down.  Brian stood in front of me, and I had to look up at him.  “You’re not leaving, are you?”

He took a deep breath, and hesitated.  “No, I’m not leaving.”

My mouth twitched.  “You can go.  You don’t have to babysit me.”

He shook his head, “If anyone needs babysitting, it’s me.” He laughed a little.

I tore my eyes from him.  “Just go.  If you want to go, go.”

                “I don’t want to, I have to.”

                “It’s four in the morning.  Why don’t you just stay?”

He sat down next to me, “I have to go back to work.”

I rolled my eyes, “Go then.” I stood up, and walked to my bedroom door.  I opened it quickly, gesturing for him to leave.  He stood from the bed, and gathered his clothes.  He walked towards me, and stopped in the door way.  “I’ll be back tonight.”  He bent down, leaving a kiss on my cheek.  He walked out without giving me another glance.

“Elizabeth Somers was last seen at Scary Ray’s bar just two months ago.  The search continues.  More news on the latest kidnappings at eleven P.M. tonight.”

The screen flashed her picture for the hundredth time today.  She’s Jimmy’s ex, and I was never too fond of her.  She goes by Lizzie, I believe.  It’s not surprising she was now one of the victims.  She was always good at playing one.

                I drew my knees up to my chest, and sipped on my hot chocolate.  The rain pounded on the roof, and I was alone.  Perfect set up for a scary movie, I thought.  Brian should be here in a few hours, and I shouldn’t panic.  I tried calling Vicki, but she wasn’t answering her phone.  She hasn’t been for the past few days.  I guess her and Matt are spending a little too much time together.

                There must be a pattern with the girls that have gone missing and found killed.  I knew all of them, and Jimmy did, too.  I know Jimmy isn’t the killer, and it’s stupid to think about something like that.  I just find it weird, and strangely convenient that Jimmy knows them, and they are the girls that have broken his heart numerous times.  It’s not Jimmy, though.  It’s strange how all of these killings and disappearances started when Brian came back into town.  Or maybe he never left.