Chapter 1

"No, no, no, no, and no!"

"Come on, Eren! It will be the easiest job in the world! All you have to do is record stuff every hour and puff! You got your money!" The crazy scientist who goes by the name Hange persuaded Eren for almost a month. Now that the Alpha agreed, it's normal for him to think twice after seeing his workplace.

"Hange, I'm a marine biologist. I work with marine life and not real, breathing, human beings!" Eren exclaimed, hoping the Beta would get his point.

After getting fired from his previous job, Eren was desperate for money. Armin, his childhood friend who worked for the government, helped him find a job with a good paycheck and that's when he first met Hange.

The crazy scientist gave him simple instructions, recording the subjects heart rate and breathing but the Beta didn't mention that the said subject was a living human being, floating on a glass cylinder filled with blue liquid!

The body had a few thin tubes sticking on his neck, providing food for the subject as he slept. He floated freely in the cylinder, only the shackle on his leg kept him in place. His skin was pale like, he never met the rays of the sun, some define muscles were present but his slim figure remains. His raven hair flows with the gentle current that the machine made in order to circulate the blue liquid.

The subject looked so peaceful in his sleep. Eyes shut, face relaxed, not a sign of wrinkles or any flaws on his pale face. In fact, he was beautiful.

"But Eren! You won't do anything like experiments or stabbing them with a syringe! Because that's my work, all you have to do is sit here, record, play with your phone or jerk off and then go home with cash!" Hange pushed.

"Hange, I don't know. I can go to jail because of this!" Eren defended.

The room clearly screams the word: ILLEGAL! And he couldn't afford to go to jail, Mikasa needed him.

Even if Mikasa was just his adopted sister Eren never thought of her as one, now she's in college. She stopped before to make way for Eren while she worked three jobs. Eren as well was doing part-time after school. Now that Eren had graduated, the Alpha had to return the favor. He insisted Mikasa to just focus all her time on her studies since Eren had a job with a good paycheck. But now he doesn't have one because his boss was a fucking perfectionist!

"Eren! Do you know who's our boss?! The government! We will never go to jail!" Hange laughed her heart out.

"That does make sense...." Eren whispered to himself.

"But! You have to keep this a secret, if you don't like a bullet in your head, then don't breath a word. And that's all!"

"Is it safe? Will I not wake up one day being arrested by some men-in-black? I have a sister who needed me, Hange."

"Of course not! The government will protect you and your sister. And listen to this! You'll like it! They will shoulder everything if something bad will happen while you're in working hours! Plus! They will give you an apology money!"

"Apology money?"

"Yes, I got a lot of apology money from them. Just a simple scratch here and there! Also when a box accidentally fell on my head."

"Okay...... Let me think this through," Eren listed down the pros and cons of Hange's offer. And there's A LOT of advantages which was very tempting, Mikasa suddenly came into his mind. She was smiling at him despite how tired she was just to get Eren through college. Mikasa needed him now.

Sighing, Eren nodded to Hange.

"Are you taking the job?!" Hange shouted excitedly.

"Yeah, I'm taking it."

Hange squealed with glee, giving the Alpha a bone-crushing bear hug. "Thank you! Thank you! You don't know how boring it is down here with just me and Moblit!"

"Okay! Okay! I get it! You can let go now!" Eren wheezed, tapping the scientist's shoulder.

Hange stepped back and formally offered her hand. "Congratulations, Eren Yeager. You got the job. You may start now."

"What?! Now?!"

"Yes, here's your record book. Now, listen carefully as I teach you how things work here." Hange handed him the book and guided to Eren to his new workplace.

The cylinder was placed in the middle of the room, all kinds of machinery were sitting beside it while bigger machines were pushed on the walls. One could hardly see the floor from all the big and small wares laying around. A small desk was placed near the cylinder with two small monitors sat on top. One showed the heart rate while the other showed the subject's breathing.

Hange placed her hand on the glass and lighy tapped it. "This is LRaven but I call him Shorty. You can give him another nickname if you want. He is 21 years old, male, short and..... short."

Eren was about to open his mouth to ask but Hange beat him off. "No, the subjects that are under this project doesn't have any families anymore, some have but they are very distant. And don't ask any more about where they came from, I myself don't know either. The government just gave me the task and that's all."

"Okay," Eren decided to keep his questions in, he knew too well that the government had dark secrets and what's worst? Eren's part of it now.

"Good. These people doesn't have any dynamics due to experimentations while in the womb. Now, as you can see before we reached this room, you probably saw some of the cylinders like this?"

Eren nodded. He did notice the same cylinder glass on one of the rooms where the door was left ajar. He thought it was just some storage of weird liquid stuff.

His eyes widens and he gave an audible gulp at the idea of more human excitements. Humans that no longer had families and was used by the government as their lab rat. What if Mikasa was not around when his parents died? Will he end up the same like these guys?

"You see Shorty here is a special case, that's why he is separated from others-"

"Yeah, right. Now that I notice it, this room had a sign clearly saying: Danger Keep out!" Eren panicked.

"It's just a sign, Eren. Jeez, calm down. Okay, as I was saying, Shorty is a special case. He was forced into hibernation because he was not responding well. Until we found a solution to this, he will remain in deep sleep." Hange said, voice full of confidence.

Eren was about to believe her but when he caught a glimpse of Shorty, he was not mistaken.

"HE OPENED HIS EYES!!" Eren stumbled back, tripping on the wires, he fell on his ass.

"What?! Really?!" Hange sounded more excited than scared. Disappointment got her when she saw Shorty's eyes were still sealed shut.

"I am not seeing things! I saw it!" Eren pushed himself back to his feet.

Approaching the cylinder to take a closer look, Shorty's eyes were still closed. Eren tapped at the glass after a few taps, a series of loud consecutive beeps came from the heart monitor.

"OH MY GOD!" Hange shouted at the same excited tone.

Before Eren could move from his spot, a large crack drawed on the glass, and one leaded to another, the glass shattered, releasing of all its contents and damaging all of the machinery nearby.

Eren was pushed back by the weird liquid until he was laying on his back, intensively coughing out the blue liquid that managed to slip in his mouth. He lifted himself with his elbow and for the first time, an Alpha like him felt like a prey.

LRaven was all fours with his face up at Eren, eyes wide as his blue-stormy orbs focused on the Alpha. When the scientist came to help Eren, he growled.

"Mine."

-----

edited 02/03/21